What do you do alone?

merlin_7799

I was chatting to a mate of mine t'other day who said they mentioned to someone that they had gone to the cinema alone and the other party were quite clearly shocked and stunned that people do this alone!

So..what do you do alone? go for a meal? clubbing? cinema? holidays?

Nosey? yes!!

I agree, but keeping it clean, wondered where comfort zones are in relation to 'doing it alone'

Well I definitely wouldn't have a problem with going the cinema alone, as it's not really a place where you want to be talking anyway. I think that generally most people only feel uncomfortable 'going it alone' in places where it is considered socially unacceptable to be by yourself, social hang outs like bars and clubs. It's human nature to conform to some kind of norm to make them feel comfortable, therefore I don't think that people who go out to bars and clubs and restaurants by themselves ever feel comfortable, as it's not really accepted by society as the norm, rather than the fact that they probably have no choice!

I could do the cinema, clubbing, or a few drinks in the pub alone.

But I don't really do it simply because there is always someone around for me. (Lucky me).

I'd never be shocked that someone else did it though - when I first moved to Sheffield I knew nobody and would have gone mad otherwise.

Going to the cinema on your own is the easiest of the lot I'd say.

I guess that's nail on the head - 'people only feel uncomfortable 'going it alone' in places where it is considered socially unacceptable to be by yourself'

There should, by rights, be no places you're 'made' to feel uncomfortable in just cause you had the bottle to go alone!

Archived