Catching a bus is not rocket science

There are many forums on buses, many relating to lateness, change etc.

Easy solutions.................

Have the correct fare, or near. A bus driver carries a float, but isn't a bank, i carry a £10 float in 10p's 20p's 50p's and £1 coins. If a passenger gets on with a £10 note, then most of my float is gone, resulting in no change for next passenger. This float is my own money, not the companies, some people say carry more float, but when will it stop?? and why should i carry a massive float? Only the other day, a student got on my bus, asked for a 80p fare and produced a £20 note saying that's all he had, but behind him was a shop, who obviously has more change than i did. I had started in town, and had not travelled a mile, picking up about 5 passengers, so i had not taken enough money above my £10 float, and this is not a one off event.

When waiting at a bus stop, have your money/pass ready. The number of times i stop at a bus stop, and then the passenger fumbles around for their pass or money, delaying the bus. It's easy, have your money or pass in your pocket, not your handbag, so you can board the bus quickly and not making the bus late.

When wanting a bus to stop at your destination, press the bell in plenty of time. The number of people who press the bell when i am within a few yards of a stop is unbelievable. If this happens, then i don't brake harshly so i can stop, this causes passenger injuries and possibly accidents, i just carry on to the next stop, then get abuse for doing so.

Buses are late for a number of reasons, beyond the drivers control. We do not want to be late. The later we are the less break time we get. Traffic congestion, road works, passengers taking time getting on/off buses, diversions, accidents are just a few reasons why buses are late. One passenger complained to me that my bus was 5 mins late, and asked if we park up for a few mins just to make the bus late? which left me puzzled why people think that.

I personally try to be on time, give passengers an efficient comfortable ride, and am polite at all times, all this is in my nature, but when people get on the bus, and start abusing, it's hard to keep your cool, but we have to, but we shouldn't have to put up with it.

So to sum up, please have the correct fare, or near to it, not £10 or £20 notes (unless you require a weekly saver etc), have money or passes ready, and press bell in plenty of time.

It's not rocket science

This thread is not meant to have a go at all passengers, just the minority who do the above, because if it wasn't for passengers then i wouldn't have a job.

I thank you

Well said, but unfortunately the public never listen - it's just part of the job you gotta put up with.

I remember back when I was at college there was a rumour that if the bus driver couldn't give you change then he had to let you ride for free.

This wasn't in Sheffield, not sure if that rumour persists.

This only applies, for a young child. Obviously we cannot leave a child stranded because they don't have the correct fare, or no money at all. Anything could happen in this day and age unfortunately. But if adults don't have the fare then refusal is imminent, but......... if say you want a £1.50 fare, but only have £1.40, it's up to the driver what to do. I personally, if the passenger is genuine, pay the 10 myself, i have been a bus driver a long time, and can tell when someone is genuine or trying it on.

Have the correct fare, or near. A bus driver carries a float, but isn't a bank, i carry a £10 float in 10p's 20p's 50p's and £1 coins. If a passenger gets on with a £10 note, then most of my float is gone, resulting in no change for next passenger. This float is my own money, not the companies, some people say carry more float, but when will it stop??

Why the heck can't the bus company provide a float? I think it's outrageous that drivers have to use their own money for that.

To be fare to the bus companies, we are offered a float.

When i started, i was offered a £5.00 float, which i refused.

I refused as i'd rather use my own money, then if i ever left, i don't have to pay it back, just easier for me

The later we are the less break time we get.

Hi,

You bring up some good points, but I'd like to ask you about the above. If a driver gets back to the depot early, do they get more of a break?

The reason I ask is that I often used to experience buses leaving their designated stops early, and couldn't think of any reason for this. I can understand buses being late from time to time, but there is absolutely no excuse for being early.

In your experience, can you imagine that some drivers may set off early from a stop, anticipating delays further along the route that may intrude in their break time? If so then this policy needs changing, as it's one of the most infuriating aspects of commuting, and one of the reasons why I now choose to use the train every time, even though it costs more and requires more walking.

I will add that I no longer live in Sheffield, but have seen early buses in many cities.

Thanks,

Andy

Have the correct fare, or near. A bus driver carries a float, but isn't a bank, i carry a £10 float in 10p's 20p's 50p's and £1 coins. If a passenger gets on with a £10 note, then most of my float is gone, resulting in no change for next passenger. This float is my own money, not the companies, some people say carry more float, but when will it stop?? and why should i carry a massive float? Only the other day, a student got on my bus, asked for a 80p fare and produced a £20 note saying that's all he had, but behind him was a shop, who obviously has more change than i did. I had started in town, and had not travelled a mile, picking up about 5 passengers, so i had not taken enough money above my £10 float, and this is not a one off event.

When waiting at a bus stop, have your money/pass ready. The number of times i stop at a bus stop, and then the passenger fumbles around for their pass or money, delaying the bus. It's easy, have your money or pass in your pocket, not your handbag, so you can board the bus quickly and not making the bus late.

When wanting a bus to stop at your destination, press the bell in plenty of time. The number of people who press the bell when i am within a few yards of a stop is unbelievable. If this happens, then i don't brake harshly so i can stop, this causes passenger injuries and possibly accidents, i just carry on to the next stop, then get abuse for doing so.

Buses are late for a number of reasons, beyond the drivers control. We do not want to be late. The later we are the less break time we get. Traffic congestion, road works, passengers taking time getting on/off buses, diversions, accidents are just a few reasons why buses are late. One passenger complained to me that my bus was 5 mins late, and asked if we park up for a few mins just to make the bus late? which left me puzzled why people think that.

I personally try to be on time, give passengers an efficient comfortable ride, and am polite at all times, all this is in my nature, but when people get on the bus, and start abusing, it's hard to keep your cool, but we have to, but we shouldn't have to put up with it.

So to sum up, please have the correct fare, or near to it, not £10 or £20 notes (unless you require a weekly saver etc), have money or passes ready, and press bell in plenty of time.

It's not rocket science

I thank you

I understand your points,and can imagine the frustrations of it,but....

Instead of trying to educate the whole of Sheffield on "how to catch a bus",why not aim your frustration at the bus company?

I know its not their fault,but im sure they have the power to put policies in place to help this problem out.

For example(and this is just off the top of my head) how about having a maximum tender of £5? (I don't know the legalities of this though).Or a maximum change given notice?

People might not be too happy at first,but once word had got around(which wouldn't be long in Sheffield lol)I think people would start listening.

If customers know 100% they won't get on the bus with a £10/£20,they will soon stop.

It's not rocket science

I thank you

Not very often I agree with a bus driver, but sounds like they broke the mould when they made you, you are a breath of fresh air.

I agree though I used to see people getting on at stops and asking for 80p fares or kids fares, and producing tenners.

Other things wind me up, students who get on for cheap pass, know they need to produce their card, do they ever have it out do they eckers.

The worst one for me is women you see them stood at front of a large queue, so you know they've been there a while. A bus turns up they get on, put bags down and proceed to look in bag for purse, why cannot they get it out at the stop.

I have said this before in Cardiff the driver has a sealed unit, and you put your fare into that, if you want say a £1.50 & put £2.00 coin in tough, they don't give change.

Perhaps Sheffield could incorporate this kind of thing as trust me, everyone I saw get on had the right money.

Oh & yes my pass is always out ready, for the drivers machine.

Archived