Catching a bus is not rocket science

I'm not having a go at bus drivers but one had a right go at me last month for having the exact change in 10ps, 5ps, 2ps and 1ps.

I had it ready at the bus stop so I wasn't holding anyone up, yet the diver glared at me in a malevolent way.

I did make a point of wishing him a nice day as I got off the bus. Made me feel better.

This was unbelievable yesterday...................

I started my duty, put my £10 float into the tray, and started loading passengers.

There were about 4 students, who got on, they all knew each other, as they were talking about the day before and what they were doing.

The first one got on, asked for a 80p student fare, and produced a £5.00 note, so i gave him his change, and he went down the bus. The second got on, again for a 80p fare, and he too produced a £5.00 note, which used up the majority of my change, but i couldn't believe it when the third one did exactly the same, but i had no change to give him, the fourth had exact change. The third student started moaning that i couldn't give him change straight away, saying what most people do, why have i not got change, and i should carry a larger float with me, but when will it stop?? carry £20 in change???

Why the hell didn't the first one ask for 4 student fares, which was £3.20, pay with the fiver and get it back off his mates later?

Luckly at the next stop, it was fairly full, and the majority had exact fare, which gave me change again, but if they hadn't, i'd have been stuck

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most other business also seem to be able to cope with ten pound notes, so I don't understand why this is an issue.

Most other businesses start the day with change in the till, instead of expecting the employees to provide their own! It's the bus companies' fault, not the drivers'.

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 14:03 ----------

Ok, and pulling in better at bus stops is not rocket science either! How many times do I come across buses whose drivers don't bother to pull closer to the kerb, preferring to keep the back of the bus well into the road so cars can't get past?

They'd probably pull in better if they could rely on drivers to let them back out. I figure if a bus driver does that, it's probably because he had a lot of trouble getting out of a previous stop.

having to wait for a bus at 2 different turn around points each day I know for a fact that nearly half of these buses do not set off on time, not because they are late in the first place but because they want to talk about last nights match to a fellow bus driver or because they "need" a "fag" before they set off

best thing to do is to take logs and send them in to the bus company

Ok. In reference to the lateness of buses. I have it from a manager's own mouth (at least on my route) that routes are planned with a waiting buffer. A stop on the route where they arrive (if on time) and aren't due to leave for a few minutes. I found this out because I complained that a bus I caught regularly would be constantly late then get 3 stops futher down the route, pull up and sit for 5 mins.

The manager told me that if the bus is late the drivers are supposed to remove the mins late from this buffer stop. so if it's 6 mins late, it just carries on and doesn't stop for those 5 mins. However it seems the drivers were ignoring this and taking an unauthorised 5 min break.

So before you lot complain about passengers not following SUGGESTED GUIDELINES, you lot need to make sure you're following your ORDERS/PROCEDURES.

Catching a bus may well not be rocket science BUT all the advice above assumes that the bus has pulled up at the bus stop to allow you to get on the bus.

The 52 bus run by Stagecoach is a prime offender of not pulling up at the bus stop to pick people up.

Before anyone says 'you have to make it plain to the driver that you want to get on the bus', I was on a 52 Stagecoach approaching ASDA and could plainly see two potential passengers with hands outstretched attempting to pull the bus over. What did the driver do? Pulled over to the outside lane and completely ignored them. Mind you the bus did have four people on board so perhaps the driver had his quota for that trip.

I have been on buses, pressed the button to indicate I want to get off at the next stop and then had to ask the driver if he was going to stop to let me off. I thought it best to apologise to him for interrupting him as he did appear to be reading the bus timetable.

I think the 52's best one is when they pull up outside the old TJ Hughes', if there is a bus in the stop they pull up at stop behind 69? and the more able bodied and not so old can get on.

This leaves little old people at the proper stop, they see the bus put out their hands, and what does it do, sail straight past, now that's bad.

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 18:43 ----------

Well I ensure I have my NUS card ready thank you very much. I've recently been forced to take the bus to Uni and there are a million and one things worse than that, a thank you from the drivers wouldn't go a miss when I pay my fair, I do it when I'm working when a customer pays me. I say thank you when I get off and it's rare that I hear a ''you're welcome'' or anything like that. I got on the 51 outside the Peace Gardens today, the driver stopped for 5 mins or so, I assumed it was his break, but when he let me on, he barely took his eyes away from his phone to even acknowledge me. I've had a car for roughly four years, so haven't used the public transport for a while, but when I did use it, in College and what have you, it was a little better.

Well done Tomm06 good on you, if only there were more

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 18:47 ----------

having to wait for a bus at 2 different turn around points each day I know for a fact that nearly half of these buses do not set off on time, not because they are late in the first place but because they want to talk about last nights match to a fellow bus driver or because they "need" a "fag" before they set off

best thing to do is to take logs and send them in to the bus company

I think you'll find even drivers are allowed a smoke, and I suppose it gets quite cramped in that little space so need to stretch.

I think the 52's best one is when they pull up outside the old TJ Hughes', if there is a bus in the stop they pull up at stop behind 69? and the more able bodied and not so old can get on.

This leaves little old people at the proper stop, they see the bus put out their hands, and what does it do, sail straight past, now that's bad.

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 18:43 ----------

Well done Tomm06 good on you, if only there were more

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 18:47 ----------

I think you'll find even drivers are allowed a smoke, and I suppose it gets quite cramped in that little space so need to stretch.

my point is that they often do this after the bus is due to have left

Obviously i cannot speak for all drivers, but i don't smoke, so have no need to leave my cab for a nicotine fix, but every now and again, i do need to leave the cab for a minute, just to stretch and move about a bit, as 4 hours on a bus driving takes its toll.

Archived