Swivel solution anyone?

People of the forum I call upon your ingenuity, resolve and wisdom to help me find a swivelling solution to a problem I have.

I’m in the process of making something and need to enable a small wooden thing to swivel on a fixed 90 degree axis to another small wooden thing.

Perhaps there is something I can buy off the shelf designed for this very purpose, and if so where can I get my hands on one and what is it called?

Maybe someone knows of an item that can be adapted to suit my purpose or maybe someone can think of a better way of achieving my goal than merely drilling a hole and banging a nail in it.

This does sound a bit silly I know, and as it is hard to describe what I’m talking about I’ve knocked up =114974690&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0"]a sketch to illustrate what I’m trying to do.

Note:

This swivelling thing needs to be lightweight, tough and as cheap as chips.

=114974690&filters[recent]=1&filters[publicOnly]=1&sort=1&o=0"]Click here to see the sketch

Could you adapt a fishing line swivel?

A good idea but would a fishing line swivel give me a floppy end?:hihi:

could you adapt a chair castor?

Interestingly I have a chair castor but it'd be just too big for my 12mm² bit of wood, nice idea though.

Depends what you call cheap as chips, but look at a flange mounted bearing block. It will be well under a tenner for 12mm shaft..

Something like that would be perfect but could be a bit heavy, would love to have a look at some though, do you know of anywhere in Sheffield that sell such things?

part of an old anglepoise lamp?

Maybe, but don't have an anglepoise lamp I'm willing to sacrifice, but will be looking for something like that should I pass a junk shop.

Smashing ideas guys, definitely something to think about - Thanks.

Call in to City seals and bearings on Stevenson Rd. Explain your need and they are sure to help.

If it is just to swivel rather than spin, you could try a brass ferule on the end of the shaft, with a brass bush (that has a similar i/d to the o/d of the ferule) set in your wooden base.

Without knowing exactly what the application is, this aint easy :?

It depends how precise you want the swivel bearing to be, and what loads might be subject to. As above poster said, a bush could be set into the block and a pin into the rod. I have some small bushes, also some miniature ball bearings with corresponding 5mm shafts (ex video heads!).

Unicorn bones are the way to go. Simply stab to death a three year old one and a six year old one and cut the back legs off which are the basis of the swivel mechanism. Discard the scrap unicorns.

The internal diameter of the six year old unicorn leg bone is, as everyone knows, exactly 6mm ... which is exactly the external diameter of the three year old unicorn leg bone! Simply whittle the rest of the bone to the desired shape with a Swiss Army Knife and the job's a good 'un! :thumbsup:

This should give years of swivel for free, and virtually zero maintainance.

It should certainly be a lot stronger than your wooden mock up which as we can see, has snapped already.

Hope this is of assistance. :)

Archived