VIC Check and everything else.

Bought a car, with 12 months MOT and 6 months tax around this time last year, however a couple of months ago some little darling decided to hit me on a roundabout, not own up to it, lose me my no claims and everything else. Anyway, since I saved up and bought the car in really good condition, it would be a waste to scrap it/sell it on, so I've got all the parts to repair it.

The insurance company wrote it off because it was mainly bodywork, and the car was only worth £1700 to them, so, I need a VIC check once it's repaired.

Now however, it's out of tax, and come a couple of weeks it's out of MOT.

Does anyone know how much a VIC check is? and what order would I do this in, MOT first, then VIC then tax? I'm not so sure.

Hi Tomm06,

The Vehicle Identity Check fee is £41.00 (£50 if it is checked outside of normal working hours)

Your car must have a valid M.O.T certificate before you take it to your local VOSA centre.

You may drive the vehicle without a tax certificate directly to the centre for a pre-booked appointment and directly home again; assuming it passes you can then apply for a tax disc.

Everything you need to know is on THIS WEBSITE

My car was wrote off by insurance earlier this year.

I bought it back had it repaired and had a new mot, even though it had one two weeks previous.

I spoke to DVLA and they said that a VIC check is not compulsory. It just means that I will not receive a road tax renewal notification.

A couple of years ago, my wife bought a little used runaround from a high street trader, a couple of weeks later she got a letter from DVLA telling her it needed a VIC check before they could issue a logbook. Bit naughty of the trader not to tell her it had been in an accident but apparently, at that time, they weren't obliged to. (The laws have now changed and they have to inform you) All they do at the VIC test is check the VIN plate against the details the DVLA hold on the vehicle to make sure it's not been "cut and shut" or ringed. It took 10 minutes and, if everything's kosher, they give you a reference number to send to the DVLA then everything's cool again. It's not an MOT, they're not particularly looking for defects unless there's something obviously dangerous. It's an inconvenience but a lot less hassle than I thought it was gonna be!

Thanks people, I'm aware of what they need to do, it's only front end damage, so I'm not worried over it, but the car will need and MOT anyway, and to be honest, since I'm replacing a whole corner of the car, I'd want to make sure it was okay anyway.

Archived