Car insurance-defanation of home question ?

I work shifts, mornings and nights, I asked my insurance company about the question "where is the vehicle kept overnight?"

In theory half the year it's at home, the other half it's at work, they said you should put the address of where you sleep as where the vehicle is kept.

Lol . But I spend about 25% at one property and 75% at another property.

Thanks for evryones help, I'm going to call the insurance company and get it in writing

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 19:18 ----------

I'd say your real home is where you keep your fishing tackle.:)

Ha ha ha that's just opened another can of worms as my tackle is at a 3rd property......I think I may be the littlest hobo !

Don't make the mistake of getting this wrong.

There is the case of the guy being stopped in London.

In the course of questioning, he had told them that he lived in London and how long for.

They wanted to check that he had insurance and he told them that he was insured with XYZ.

The officers telephoned to confirm that Mr SoandSo of London Address with Vehicle Reg was insured with them.

When Insurers XYZ replied that as he was insured as being resident oop north and that he had failed to inform them of any change of circumstances, his policy was invalid ..... charged with driving without insurance!

My car Insurance is due for renewal soon, which would I classify as "home" legally , the flat where my post goes to or my partners flat where I spend the majority of my time, both these options leave me liable to serious questions if anything should happen ?

I just want to be safe and not sorry !

Whicever postcode comes back with the cheapest Quote, go with that.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:07 ----------

Of course it matters, I could say I lived in dore yet live on the manor this saving hundreds of pounds, if I was then to have an accident my Insurance would be invalid.

Only if they found out. How would they find out as long as you have access to the address you say the car is kept so you can get your letters from the insurance company . ?

Whicever postcode comes back with the cheapest Quote, go with that.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 21:07 ----------

Only if they found out. How would they find out as long as you have access to the address you say the car is kept so you can get your letters from the insurance company . ?

When his bird has had enough of him, and returns his mail "not known at this address"

Don't make the mistake of getting this wrong.

There is the case of the guy being stopped in London.

In the course of questioning, he had told them that he lived in London and how long for.

They wanted to check that he had insurance and he told them that he was insured with XYZ.

The officers telephoned to confirm that Mr SoandSo of London Address with Vehicle Reg was insured with them.

When Insurers XYZ replied that as he was insured as being resident oop north and that he had failed to inform them of any change of circumstances, his policy was invalid ..... charged with driving without insurance!

...and the worst of it is when he goes to reinsure he won't be able to answer "no" to the question "Have you ever had insurance cancelled or voided?" I would dread to think what his premiums will be now. It is tempting to be creative when dealing with insurance companies but for the sake of a few quid off a premium it's not worth the risk.

To the OP I would recommend, once you have a quote in place (presumably you are doing this online?) to ring them with your quote reference and explain exactly what your circumstances are. I would be surprised if it changes your premium that much and then you can be sure that you are fully covered and won't find yourself in the unfortunate position outlined above.

Home is where your driving license address is, otherwise your breaking the law. you have to inform the DVLA of a change of adress

Hes not insuring his driving licence he's insuring his car.You can put two addresses down, your home address for contact details,but the one they will work on is the address where the vehicle is kept.

Hes not insuring his driving licence he's insuring his car.You can put two addresses down, your home address for contact details,but the one they will work on is the address where the vehicle is kept.

My Bold

In his situation where would that be?

Archived