British Justice

I have just read a story in the star of an ex boxer who was killed on his motorbike, the person who pulled out on him was charged and convicted of causing death by dangerous driving and the story is basically an update that his sentence has been reduced from a custodial sentence to a 50 hour community order, I would be mortified with lack of justice if the victim was someone I knew, what do you think!

If you think about it, there is no such thing as a traffic accident.

There will always be someone at fault, wether it be through careless, inconsiderate driving, dangerous driving or any neglect of the highway code.

As a Military policeman in Germany we always attended traffic accidents, no matter how trivial, involving servicemen or their families and blame was always allocated by the German police along with a small fine.

I can't see why someone should go to prison for causing a careless accident.

Prisons are full of people who shouldn't be in there. This person has got to live with what they have caused, that's punishment enough, if you ask me.

The point is this was an RTA yes but the offender was convicted of dangerous driving which is much more serious than even being involved in an RTA where someone was killed, the offender was directly responsible for a death by his/her actions and the point is, he was convicted, sentenced in court, appealed and was squashed to 50 hours community service, A misdemeanour, so are people saying the original sentence was way way over the top or what? Either way nine months prison reduced to community service!

The point is this was an RTA yes but the offender was convicted of dangerous driving which is much more serious than even being involved in an RTA where someone was killed, the offender was directly responsible for a death by his/her actions and the point is, he was convicted, sentenced in court, appealed and was squashed to 50 hours community service, A misdemeanour, so are people saying the original sentence was way way over the top or what? Either way nine months prison reduced to community service!

There's a big difference between carelessly pulling out on someone and driving dangerously. 'dangerous driving' is a real grey area. You can be convicted for doing something like this, or for driving at 90 in a 30 zone. If someone is killed by someone using excessive speed, then I would expect a custodial sentence.

Without knowing all of the facts of the case, it's impossible to give an informed opinion. Not that it's stopped you.

If you think about it, there is no such thing as a traffic accident.

There will always be someone at fault, wether it be through careless, inconsiderate driving, dangerous driving or any neglect of the highway code.

If you think a little harder about it, there are totally such things as traffic accidents. 'Accident' does not imply that no-one is at fault, merely that it was unintentional.

Archived