British Justice

The point is this was an RTA yes but the offender was convicted of dangerous driving which is much more serious than even being involved in an RTA where someone was killed, the offender was directly responsi.............

No RTAs any more.

They are RTCs or RTIs

If you think a little harder about it, there are totally such things as traffic accidents. 'Accident' does not imply that no-one is at fault, merely that it was unintentional.

But the fault, wether intentional or not, or say, the result of someone having a sneezing fit, will always lie with someone!

Not to say that if someone caused the death of another roaduser having been taken ill at the wheel should be classed as dangerous driving.

Unless they knew of the illness beforehand of course!!

the penalties for incidents involving vehicles have always been far less than incidents which result in the same outcome but not involving a vehicles.

people have been complaining and campaigning for a change in the law for decades.

if you really want to do something about this then don't come whining on here but lobby your MP, transport ministers and their shadows in the opposition and possibly even one or all of the MPs who come out of the private members bill ballot.

the penalties for incidents involving vehicles have always been far less than incidents which result in the same outcome but not involving a vehicles.

This is true.

I've always thought that if I needed to kill someone I'd run them over....more chance of a lenient sentence if I got caught.

If you think about it, there is no such thing as a traffic accident.

There will always be someone at fault, wether it be through careless, inconsiderate driving, dangerous driving or any neglect of the highway code.

Or a tyre blow out.

It was an Accident, one good person life has been ruin already, why ruin the other family aswell?

Death by dangerous driving would imply it wasn't an accident, if I pointed a gun at you and accidentally pulled the trigger, I didn't mean to do it wouldn't wash, it was preventable by simply not pointing the gun at you. Had the driver not been driving dangerously the accident probably wouldn't have happened.

Having said that I don’t think prison is the answer unless it is a repeat offence.

This is true.

I've always thought that if I needed to kill someone I'd run them over....more chance of a lenient sentence if I got caught.

The problem there is intent, if you ran someone over intending to kill them, you'd be charged with murder.

So the guy appealed and got his sentence reduced (he would have got a ban as well ; a ban is compulsory in both the different offences of dangerous driving and causing death by dangerous driving). But so what. He could have appealed, and had it increased.

Archived