Barrister says age of consent should be 13

I used the phrase "serious child rape" to emphasise the gravity of the crime.

She appears to be referring to acts much lower on the scale than rape in fact I think she refers to them as misdemeanours.

Have you read the complete article ?

Yes, it's revolting. I'm not surprised her law firm are trying to distance themselves from her repellent views.

I do not think Barbara Hewson was referring to serious cases of child rape like this.

So where is this loon setting the level of acceptable behaviour for dirty old men wanting a thrill with underage children?

Pictures?

Touching up?

Oral sex?

I knew what I wanted at 13 and for millions of years humans coped quite nicely without an age of consent.

Homo sapiens first evolved about 500,000 years ago. Your ancestral line clearly missed out on the sapiens bit of evolution.

And the award for the biggest simplification of human history goes to ... Mr Smith, for his potted history of sexual consent.

What do I win, :) I didn't want to make it too complicated because I new you would be reading it.

If young people waited until they fall in love and marry before going the whole hog then England would be a better place.

What if they fall in love at 13. :)

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Wel what was she referring to in your opinion? There's no such thing as non serious child rape.

Rape 1

13 year old girl willingly has sex with 16 year old, she is happy she had sex, she doesn't feel used in any way, when she is old enough they get married. She was technically raped because legally she can’t give consent. Not serious.

Rape 2

13 year old girl dragged into bushes by 13 year old boy, she is beaten and raped, and left traumatised. Very serious.

So where is this loon setting the level of acceptable behaviour for dirty old men wanting a thrill with underage children?

Pictures?

Touching up?

Oral sex?

It appears that she is trying to put into perspective different levels of behaviour and how they are dealt with.

Also that it is not only underage children involved.

What if they fall in love at 13. :)

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Rape 1

13 year old girl willingly has sex with 16 year old, she is happy she had sex, she doesn't feel used in any way, when she is old enough they get married. She was technically raped because legally she can’t give consent. Not serious.

Rape 2

13 year old girl dragged into bushes by 13 year old boy, she is beaten and raped, and left traumatised. Very serious.

I agree that there is a clear difference here. In my view it would be inappropriate to criminalise the issue in the first case and essential in the second.

However, there are clearly much better ways to deal with this than by lowering the age of consent to thirteen.

Archived