Barrister says age of consent should be 13

I take exeption to this. Your words are emotive for no reason. No one has ever died of sexual abuse, so to say this woman is a survivor is OTT.

Then there is the assertion that the age of consent and child rape are somehow connected. Is the rape of a child any more or less damaging than the rape of a person who is over the age of consent? If a girl is raped one day before her 16th birthday does that one day make it more damaging?

Come on lets not let this run away with us. Rape is rape, and the age of consent has very little to do with it. 16 is a child and so abuse is no different to that of a younger child.

I personally think consent should be at 18 or it it must stay at 16 the other party must be within a specific age range too. +2 or 3 or 4 years max for example.

The words are not mine they are the title of the blog concerned. In any case we survive all manner of things in life and your narrow application of its meaning is incorrect.

sur·vive (sr-vv)

v. sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives

v.intr.

1. To remain alive or in existence.

2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere:

3. To remain functional or usable:

Furthermore, there is more than simply the views on the age of consent to be challenged in Hewson's article. Her minimising of abusive practices also warrants comment which is, in all likelyhood, what motivated the open letter.

I take exeption to this. Your words are emotive for no reason. No one has ever died of sexual abuse, so to say this woman is a survivor is OTT.

No one ever died of sexual abuse? How do you know that? You have access to records? I worked with survivors of sexual abuse over many years. What alternative term would you care to call them?

In Spain the age of consent is.... 13.

In Turkey it's 18.

Is one "right" and one "wrong"?

Spain, in my view, is wrong. If the age of consent is 13 does that mean a 13 year old cant get groomed by a 40 year old anymore? It's consensual surely ? She would "think" she wants it and is likely not to say no.

Well said. There seems to be a lot of pitch fork one sided opinion here.

Is there no such thing as a Dirty old woman praying on young boys?

Male rape happens too. So does gay rape.

How about 14/15 year old girls slapping on the make up and little black dresses to sneek into nightclubs and get off with 18 year old lads? Rape or consented sex (with a false age)?

We all know which side the media and foamy mouthed brigade would see it. Funny how nobody asks what these girls were doing there in the first place.

A news anchor once made comment of the hypocritical media who will scream "string em up" to any creapy old man who even sniffs at a younger girl but then flip over the page and they have a full page of Britney Spiers dressed as a school girl in sexy poses or just 18 "our Janine" with her TTs out.

This whole issue is a very grey area. Age of Consent has absolutely sod all to do with rape, paedophilia or anything in between.

Rape/sexual abuse/sexual harrassment/domestic violence and the rest can all happy to any age and any sex.

I personally think the Barrister made a valid point. Whether or not its the right decision.

The point is still perfectly valid.

Pity most of the media wont see it that way.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 19:45 ----------

Sex Education plays a very important part too. If a "child" is educated in the birds and bees is it not simply nature that eventually some will choose to have sex earlier than others.

Nobody controls their hormones and boys and girls will get together.

The obvious distinction between a "child" and "teenager" is always going to be clear. The legaities of legal and illegal will always be there.

I wondered how long it would be before either you or one of the other apologists turned up and mentioned 'the pitchfork brigade', as always happens on the forum. (I was tempted to put the laughing smiley at the end, but then didn't as really it isn't very funny.)

Our successive governments are self-serving hypocrites.

They say we're old enough to pay tax and national insurance at 16 but yet we're not old enough to vote!

We're old enough to have sexual intercourse and therefore children of our own at 16 but yet we're not old enough to buy alcohol.

We're old enough to buy as many national lottery tickets as we want at 16 but we can't go on a gambling machine, or have a bet of any kind.

It's a disgrace. If a person is not deemed mature enough to purchase alcohol, then how the hell can they be mature enough to have kids of their own?!

Spain, in my view, is wrong. If the age of consent is 13 does that mean a 13 year old cant get groomed by a 40 year old anymore? It's consensual surely ? She would "think" she wants it and is likely not to say no.

Would that be any different if it were a 16 year old that only "thinks" she wants the sex, or an 18 year old?

16 is just an arbitrary number that we happen to have settled on in the past, it's not sacrosanct and should be up for debate.

I didn't realise compassion was your middle name!

I don't think you've used your nugget before typing here, have you?

Would you class a suicide as a result of rape, or years of sexual abuse as dieing of sexual abuse? If not, you should!

Thousands of suicides not enough for you?

Or how about all the women who've been raped and murdered?

Archived