Barrister says age of consent should be 13

No the failure of support by both the courts and other government agencies caused her death. The abuse, heinous as it is, didn't kill her.

People commit suicide, that is true, but it effects people from all walks of life. Very rich people kill themselves. People with the world at their feet kills themselves. People with nothing kill themselves while others live happy lives.

Hit the nail on the head there Wex!

Cause and effect! Proving that it's the abuse that kills the individual, not the lack of support from courts or governments.

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 09:45 ----------

Arh, in which case its my interpretation. I always thought survive meant not to die from it.

---------- Post added 10-05-2013 at 09:42 ----------

No, I would say its caused by the failure of support.

If I fail to maintain my car and it falls apart resulting in my death, is that the fault of the car or my fault for not maintaining it?

You're comparing rape, to looking after a car??:help:

A victim of abuse.

Yes and no.

I dont fully agree with his statement but i agree even less with your label, calling them survivors is just a modern, PC monica.

Victims of abuse are just that, Victims.

Weather or not they choose to remain victims for the rest of their life is up to them.

As a "victim" yourself you'll know full well that you'll always remain a victim. Most victims through instinct attempt to move forward though, to persevere, to deal with trauma, to survive. You alone should understand this. Where you get this notion of "PC" in relation to the term is a little baffling...it isn't a "label" as you say..it's a definition.

What if they fall in love at 13. :)

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 18:16 ----------

Rape 1

13 year old girl willingly has sex with 16 year old, she is happy she had sex, she doesn't feel used in any way, when she is old enough they get married. She was technically raped because legally she can’t give consent. Not serious.

Rape 2

13 year old girl dragged into bushes by 13 year old boy, she is beaten and raped, and left traumatised. Very serious.

the age of consent is not used against two 13 year olds. It is used to make it easier to convict adults that choose to have sex with children.

I take exeption to this. Your words are emotive for no reason. No one has ever died of sexual abuse, so to say this woman is a survivor is OTT.

Of course people have died from sexual abuse.

Aside from suicide, sexual violence can be so severe that the results are fatal.

It's also not uncommon for rapists to murder their victims after or during, in an attempt to cover up their crime, or through losing control.

Then there's sexual disease which can be terminal.

Anyone who survives these is, by definition, a survivor.

The VAST majority of sex abuse victims dont die.

There may be a tiny minuscule proportion who take their own lives, an even smaller amount may die during the attack but no, for the most part (most meaning massive) sex abuse does not kill.

Which means that most are survivors

No they don't. Don't make such sweeping statements - it's silly.

I have had sex and I have no children. I don't plan on having any children either.

Humans have sex for fun, yes. But the physical act is designed as a means to reproduce.

No they don't. Don't make such sweeping statements - it's silly.

I have had sex and I have no children. I don't plan on having any children either.

Best way to protect children is not to have them. (Sorry, weird logic took over for a split second there, i must resist influence, I must resist influence, I must re.......)

Then don't make stupid comments. We're talking about rape and sexual abuse victims here, not someone who doesn't like being 'spoken to like that', on a forum!

People HAVE dies as a direct result of rape and sexual abuse! People die as a result of being bullied at school, for crying out loud!

I never said people haven't died as a result, or even during an attack.

Now please, lose the aggression. It doesn't help the thread one bit.

Archived