Police request to produce driving documentaton

A friend of mine had her off-side wing mirror smashed yesterday whilst it was parked up. A note was left on her car by the 'culprit' leaving her a phone number to call to sort the matter out. My friend called said phone number but was told it was nothing to do with them and she must have been given the wrong number.

My friend then informed the police and was given a incident number. the police have now been in touch and asked her to go to the police station and produce all her documentation (driving license. insurance details, log book and MOT cert).

I really don't understand this, as when my car was vandalised a number of years ago, I reported it but was never asked to produce my documents to the police.

I was under the impression that if the police request you to produce documentation it is usually after being stopped whilst actually driving because of a suspicion of some irregularity.

In the circumstances, is she lawfully required to produce her documentation (which is all in order anyway)?

If the police ask her for it then yes, she'll have to produce it...Look at it this way.. her car has been involved in an accident (whoever's fault it was)..they'll want to check it's insured, MOT'd etc.. does she have a problem with having to produce her documents?

If the police ask her for it then yes, she'll have to produce it...Look at it this way.. her car has been involved in an accident (whoever's fault it was)..they'll want to check it's insured, MOT'd etc.. does she have a problem with having to produce her documents?

Her car was not involved in an 'accident' as such. It was the subject of vandalism whilst parked. All her documentation is in order (and I'm sure a simple ANPR check could easily have proved this).

As I understand it, the police usually ask for a 'produce' if you are caught driving in an unusual manner and do not have the relevant documentation to hand at the time.

Put it this way, if someone for example keyed your car whilst it was parked up for the night, would you be happy for an enforced 'produce', which makes you somehow feel like you are in the wrong?

Her car was not involved in an 'accident' as such. It was the subject of vandalism whilst parked. All her documentation is in order (and I'm sure a simple ANPR check could easily have proved this).

As I understand it, the police usually ask for a 'produce' if you are caught driving in an unusual manner and do not have the relevant documentation to hand at the time.

Put it this way, if someone for example keyed your car whilst it was parked up for the night, would you be happy for an enforced 'produce', which makes you somehow feel like you are in the wrong?

I thought you meant someone had hit her car mirror with another car.... sorry misunderstood you..... I'd have no problem showing the police my driving documents.. it'd make no difference to me at all..not a problem in the slightest... maybe they ought to ask more people for them more often...

When ther eis an accident,and this WAS an accident then both parties will be asked to produce their documents.The fact that one vehicle wasnt attended at the time is irrelivent.

I assume that at the same time as producing the documents they will want a statement without that they havnt got much to go on.

Not producing your documents may produce a fail to produce charge and if they are above board then its not a problem

Vandals don't leave notes, not even misleading ones. The parked car was probably hit by another which was witnessed by others.The culprit felt guilty and left a fake contact note.

That makes it an accident,which should legally be reported to the police(as it has) and then await the follow up. The follow up is a producer request.

The people that a constable may require to produce documents are:

• someone driving
  • someone that they have reasonable cause to believe was driving when an accident occurred
  • someone that they have reasonable cause to believe has committed an offence with regard to the use of a motor vehicle

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/165/enacted

Given these criteria, should my friend be legally required to submit to the 'produce' request? BTW she is currently on her way to Woodthorpe police station with said documentation (feeling stressed and under duress), despite the fact she lives in Meersbrook, but unfortunately Woodseats police station no longer have an incident desk.

I'd be happy the police want to see documents because it shows they're actually trying to build a case and take the matter forward.

If you're friend is foolish enough to not try and help then it's their problem.

Archived