Police request to produce driving documentaton

I'd be happy the police want to see documents because it shows they're actually trying to build a case and take the matter forward.

If you're friend is foolish enough to not try and help then it's their problem.

As I said previously, she is on her way to Waterthorpe police station with the requested documentation, so despite going out of her way is 'complying' with a request (that according to cgkSheff's contribution about the legalities of the situation is not necessary).

As for feeling stressed and under duress; firstly if you lead a busy life then this kind of incident CAN cause stress, especially if you have to go completely out of your way to comply with such a directive. Secondly, the legalities of the situation CAN make you feel under duress when you are a COMPLETELY INNOCENT PARTY to an incident, and are treated otherwise (see legal position above).

I am only trying to help a friend to find out the legal position in this matter (which thanks to cgkSheff's research has clarified the matter). So if the rest of you want to go on and and take the proverbial it's up to you.

---------- Post added 09-05-2013 at 18:10 ----------

Feeling stressed and under duress? Tell her to get a grip! Blimey, all the feds want to see is her documentation!

'feds' .. get a grip - how old are you (12?). Go get down wiv da yoof, prat.

As I said previously, she is on her way to Waterthorpe police station with the requested documentation, so despite going out of her way is 'complying' with a request (that according to cgkSheff's contribution about the legalities of the situation is not necessary).

As for feeling stressed and under duress; firstly if you lead a busy life then this kind of incident CAN cause stress, especially if you have to go completely out of your way to comply with such a directive. Secondly, the legalities of the situation CAN make you feel under duress when you are a COMPLETELY INNOCENT PARTY to an incident, and are treated otherwise (see legal position above).

I am only trying to help a friend to find out the legal position in this matter (which thanks to cgkSheff's research has clarified the matter). So if the rest of you want to go on and and take the proverbial it's up to you.

If you are asked to produce your docs at a police station then its a good idea to comply with their request. It doesn't sound anything out of the ordinary to me. I had to produce mine when someone dented my car in a carpark (they didn't leave any details) and I had to go to a police station to report the incident in person and produce my docs :)

I really can't help but think you (or your friend) are making a mountain out of a molehill..reading your first post again it does sound like a passing vehicle has hit her car so it was involved in an accident so there's no issue with the police asking for docs..I really can't see your problem with it all..

Out of interest, how much is your friend's insurance excess (assuming she's fully comp) and how much will the wing mirror cost to replace? Is she likely to use her insurance to pay for the repairs?

We got our car pranged in a car park last year. Dent in bonnet and broken headlight. The culprit left a dodgy telephone number. We decided against contacting the police as it would mean that we'd have to tick the box, "Have you had any accidents" when renewing our insurance.

Oh, it cost us £200 to have the light replaced, dent (plus an existing dent) removed and a bonnet respray.

If the car has been involved in a RTC, eg. hit by another car, and she has reported it to the police, then she has to produce her docs as she is classed as being in charge of that vehicle, whether driving it or not. If its criminal damage, and someone has knocked it off with their hand or something, then that is not a RTC and she wouldn't be asked to produce her docs.

If it was vandalised, why would someone leave a number? Did anyone see it?

I really can't help but think you (or your friend) are making a mountain out of a molehill..reading your first post again it does sound like a passing vehicle has hit her car so it was involved in an accident so there's no issue with the police asking for docs..I really can't see your problem with it all..

Agree totally - blimey, the friends sounds very defensive. And with respect, having your vehicle wing mirror removed when the cart is stationary is not a 'stressful' event in the grand scheme of things. Nobody died, as they say. Being told someone you love is seriously ill is stressful. Coming home to find your home burgled and ransacked is stressful. Losing your job and/or having your home repossessed is stressful. Someone hitting off your wing mirror is an irritation.

Tell her to try to keep things in perspective?

Archived