Group interview, how does that work..

I have been invited for a group interview for a job, how does that work then.? but after that it will be a one to one interview, but how can they tell anything about you in a group.?

and how do you react in a group, do you have to be assertive and be the first to jump in with an answer, or do you just sit there and act like yourself, in the hope they will see your true potential, i find the idea of a group interview a little unprofessional to be honest.:huh:

I've had two of these and found them awful. They're supposed to be informal but you can't relax in them. At one of them the staff talked about how interested they were in bathroom tiles. I thought it was a wind-up but it wasn't. Fortunately I didn't get offered that one as I nearly fell asleep among the most boring people I'd ever met. The second one was similar with the would-be line manager boring me almost comatose with stories about his family while I stuffed myself with rice and pasta from the buffet trying to stay awake. Fortunately I didn't get offered that one either. I prefer formal interviews where the rules are black and white and you don't have to put up with the sad lives of the staff.

Just be yourself. You don't know what they're looking for so don't worry.

If you take charge they might think you show potential as a leader, or they might think you're aggressive and domineering. If you take a back seat they might think you're wise not to play your cards too quick, or they might think you're passive and weak.

I had a group interview at about 18 and didn't stand a chance in retrospect. I was out of my league. We had to develop a sales plan for something simple, like the cardboard from the inside of a toilet roll. Awful experience.

Horses for course, I suppose. Personally, I love group interviews and usually do well in them. I like the chance to show how I interact with people. My best tip is to never for one minute be fooled in to thinking that it's informal and they're not really interviewing you.

Also, (which I think is a bit naughty) be prepared in the one to one interview, as they might ask you to make comments about what you think of the others!!!

Horses for course, I suppose. Personally, I love group interviews and usually do well in them. I like the chance to show how I interact with people. My best tip is to never for one minute be fooled in to thinking that it's informal and they're not really interviewing you.

Also, (which I think is a bit naughty) be prepared in the one to one interview, as they might ask you to make comments about what you think of the others!!!

That's easy just say they were all rubbish:hihi:

It sounds like the apprentice-maybe that's where the idea is from. Craziness! If you think they are a bad idea you probably would not enjoy working there-I wouldn't!

Try and remember they are being interviewed by you too. That's the best advice I ever had about interviews, you have to try and remember they would be lucky to have you....unless you are rubbish:hihi:

I've been in a group interview and went on to the second interview, and got one of the vacancies. I enjoyed it, but I was a mature candidate, and had worked at a higher level in the past, so didn't find it too daunting.

Often in these interviews people are split into smaller groups and asked to carry out a task in a given timescale. I've noticed that some people get carried away and forget about the time, so its always a good move to quietly keep track of it and remind the group that they only have 5 minutes left. You could get plus points for that. ;)

The interviewers are (usually) looking for people who listen to instructions, follow them through, speak up when they are asked to and join in discussions without overpowering everyone else.

I have once had an interview where 6 candidates sat in front of the panel and each answered the current question in turn.

The last in the row thus had the opportunity of listening to the others before formulating his reply.

Neither did they change the order in which candidates took turns in answering.

Just remember in any interview, whoever you come into contact with from the moment you walk onto their premises to the moment you leave will potentially feed back to the person who makes a decision.

So say "thank you" to the receptionist. When sat in the waiting area, don't be having a conversation on your mobile with your mates or mum or whatever. Be pleasant to the other candidates and to the person who walks you to the interview room (and the one who walks you out).

When in the interview, show the people that you've done your homework. For example, you could remark how for the largest telecommunications company in the UK, the staff certainly know a lot about bathroom tiles. Or how, when you worked your way from a postroom assistant to the typing room supervisor, you never really discussed bathroom tiles but you will certainly view them in a different light now. If it's a sales job, you could even say what you perceive to be the advantages of a small tile over a large tile. You have got to get across to whoever is listening that you have the skills and qualities to fill the role.

I remember one interview I went for many years ago, the main man on the panel really liked the sound of his own voice. I'd told them as much information about myself as I could but, in a 30 minute interview where they were talking for 75% of the time, it was difficult. Anyhow, I knew that I was struggling when the room went silent as they were obviously waiting for a reply from me. I'd been pre-occupied with the fact that there was a crack in the window pane behind the interviewers' heads as I'd lost the will after another five minute talk from them to me on nothing in particular. I tried to bluff it by saying that it was an interesting question and I'd have to really think about it but I eventually had to come clean and ask them what they had asked me. I didn't get the job.

Archived