Coping with hot desking.

I have a fixed desk, but a clear desk policy at the end of the day.

Doesnt bother me, I have a bag I keep my stuff in, and when im at work I get out what I need.

Dont feel like a wage slave, I work to live, and working means I get to buy myself the things I want :D

Place I worked at once had a "clear desk" policy. A complete and utter waste of about 15 minutes at the start and end of each working day as we got out then put away our stuff. 2 hours-ish per week totally non-productive - genius.

It achieved the sum total of absolutely nothing. I shudder to think what it cost in lost man-hours over a year.

But that's modern management for you - completely clueless.

Place I worked at once had a "clear desk" policy. A complete and utter waste of about 15 minutes at the start and end of each working day as we got out then put away our stuff. 2 hours-ish per week totally non-productive - genius.

It achieved the sum total of absolutely nothing. I shudder to think what it cost in lost man-hours over a year.

Why did people have loads of stuff to put away? I could log off, and collect my pens etc in a few moments, and put them in my locker as I took my bag out. In a customer facing job, we had limited desk space, if we'd all left our belongings on show it would have looked very unprofessional to our customers, and none of us really wants to work surrounded by someone else's junk, do we?

The other job where I hotdesked had a clear desk policy because of the nature of the cases we dealt with. It wouldn't have done to have left personal and confidential information lying around.

Not sure why that makes management clueless. :confused:

Because you have to change desks?

Ever felt entitled?

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 13:56 ----------

To me it just reinforces the feeling that you are just a number, a drone, and it matters not whether you or anyone else is sat at that desk.

Obviously this is how big business works, but it does nothing for morale.

Entitled?

Entitled to what?....work satisfaction and a feeling of being valued?

15 minutes :o What exactly takes you 15 minutes to clear away? I could completely clear my desk including computer etc in less than 5.

I now hot desk. It isn't nearly as bad as you think so long as you try to resolve the little problems for yourself.

The main problems I have revolve around

-pinning other people down to discuss and liaise on things. A lot more emails will become an every day occurrence because you can't leave notes on peoples desks.

- noise is a problem sometimes because hot desking is generally a way of making sure desks are empty less often, - this means more people talking (phone/desk meetings) per square metre of office space.

My office also allows working from home so long as your contactable and your work doesn't slip.

There are swings and roundabouts. Generally though the problems arise where an employer thinks they don't have to pay for anything to make the situation work. You will almost always find that the management that decide to go hot desking almost never hot desk themselves, - they usually have a dedicated office with its own meeting table and a secretary to do all of their admin for them.

Hot desking is horrible, end of. It dehumanises people

I suppose that depends on one's attitude. In the last job I had (Civil Service) the hot desking wasn't nearly as dehumanising as the job itself.

I wasn't overly impressed with some of the people who worked there either. I think it was probably the most cliquey place I've encountered. If the worst bit had been having to sit at a different desk sometimes, I'd probably have stayed on.

Archived