AFRICAN SAFARI(good or bad)

Its depends what floats your boat! In laws have been on several different ones. Some quite basic and some 'luxurious'. Some trips they have been and mixed more with the locals, some quite confined to accommodation. It has never appealed to me. Some safaris are very authentic, the animals hunt and kill each other not too far from the vehicle you are in. I know this is natural but I would find it upsetting.

She was a bit concerned one day when a big wild cat (Cheetah or similar, not moggie)came quite close to the open window and another day on the open deck area outside their room.

I went to Kenya when I was 15 and it's an experience I have never forgotten. I've never been anywhere before or since that left me feeling 'homesick' for it for months after my return.

We saw the beginnings of a hyena kill of a buffalo calf, which wasn't pretty and did upset me, but that's nature. We stayed in fairly luxurious accommodation, but even so one place had a wild bull elephant that apparently wandered in and helped himself to the buffet periodically, and you were advised not to leave your shoes outside your 'hut' (for the shoes cleaning service) as hyenas might pinch them.

All in all brilliant, and I'd love to go again.

I went to Kenya when I was 16 (27 years ago) and stayed on the coast at Malindi. We didn't go on an organised safari but hired a car and a local taxi driver to take us to a couple of the best reserves. It was a wonderful experience, everyone was friendly and the whole trip was wonderful.

I did a different style of trip 6 years ago using Exodus.

This was a dedicated wildlife holiday taking in Kenya, Uganda and finishing in Rwanda to visit the mountain gorillas.

To my mind the wildlife experience was just as wonderful but some of the other things were less palatable to my more grown up sensibilities (Kenya: abject poverty, widespread prostitution and crime, a sense of fear in the towns and cities. Uganda: guns everywhere, jeeps and pickups with heavily armed men in Kampala).

I must say Rwanda was a breath of fresh air after Kenya, didn't feel threatened, didn't encounter begging or bribery and had a very close encounter with a family of gorillas. We met other travellers who'd been to DR Congo to see the gorillas but I'd avoid that place like the plague, much more likely to encounter rebels or kidnappers.

So, in conclusion. If you want to go to Africa for the animals then Kenya and Tanzania would be ideal. Personally I'd pick a trip that just concentrated on the wildlife rather than venturing into the towns and cities.

We camped part of the time. It is very disconcerting at night to be lying in a tent and hearing large animals grazing feet away. Two people got up to use the latrine at one point only to find a Rhino blocking the path, but I did choose an "adventure" holiday so it's all part of the fun.

I would definitely go back and see the gorillas though and you can get more deluxe, non camping, trips there nowadays. It's a lovely country and everyone we met was friendly. The cost to see the gorillas is high but that money pays for the protection they need.

Memories are made of trips like this. I hope you go for it and have a fantastic time.

Don't forget your jabs!

A great option would be to fly into Cape Town and take stops along The Garden Route (which is stunning) on your way to spending a few days at Shamwari Game Reserve. Here's the link

http://www.shamwari.com/propertydefault.asp?MicroSiteID=2

In a nutshell....fabulous! Not cheap, but worth every penny. Best of all... NO MALARIA. Dont be fooled into thinking Safaris are easy. You have to be up at the crack of dawn for the am drives (and it can be very chilly. One lasting memory is of unprepared tourists scrambling to buy fleeces in the gift shop after their first am drive :hihi:) You return for breakfast, relax, eat lunch, go out for the sunset drive at around 5.30pm & dont get back till around 8.30pm for your evening meal. The Born Free Foundation is only a short distance away. I recommend you visit.

There's no guarantees about seeing the animals. Shamwari keep a diary of what's been spotted on their website. Shamwari have the Big 5. We saw everything but not the leopards. What's great is that the Guides do not all rush to crowd the animals in their landrovers like some other Reserves.

We also went on a foot safari walk. Fantastic but you do feel like somethings dinner. Glad the Guide carried a large rifle!

We stayed in Long Lee Manor which was great for us. They have some exceptional Lodges right out in the bush but unless you arrange to go with a group of friends, you are likely to get saddled with a bunch of up themselves hoorahs. Long Lee housed us normal folks!

Excellent location, luxurious accomodation, top class food, the experience of a lifetime. Sitting in an open topped landrover up close & personal with African wildlife. Unforgetable. You have to go!!!! Your child will love you forever.

PS If you time it right....Plan your trip to South Africa when the Southern Right Wales are migrating through Hermanus. You will truly have your socks blown off :D

we went on a two day safari as part of a beach holiday in kenya. It was spectacular-we stayed in luxury tents and had views of an artificial waterhole.

Seeing the towns was quite depressing but its part of it.

It was something I had always wanted to do so my husband bought me the trip for my birthday/christmas. He was not that interested in the idea but loved it too!

We are going again in september for a horse riding safari in namibia.

Take a brilliant camera.

I've been to Kenya twice, once on my honeymoon and the second time with our 3 children. We had an amazing time on both occasions. If you want to combine it with some beach time I would highly recommend the Sun & Sand at Kikimbala. The owners of the hotel really support the local community and it shows through the way you are treated when you leave the hotel grounds.

Archived