Royce Gracie Seminar

ROYCE GRACIE IS COMING TO SHEFFIELD

the seminar will take place on sunday the 19th of feb:thumbsup:

it will start at 6.30pm (or when royce get's there.lol)

any way if u want 2 know any more or book a place

call steve on 07896330037

hope 2 c u there:D

Hello

Interested in doing Jujitsu maybe. I know my next door neighboors son, turned 9 in November and also got his black belt which was an excellent achievement.

I'm interested in giving this Matial Art a try out.

Whats the difference in Brazilian and Japanese Jujitsu? are the names of the techniques/throws pronounced in Brazilain/Japanese respectively?

Trev - Brazilian jujitsu was originally derived from a branch of traditional jujitsu with a few other influences but it has developed into quite a different style now. Brazilian jujitsu focusses on practical ground technique with emphasis on controlling an opponent and submission techniques (Chokes and joint-breaking techniques). Brazilian jujitsu is largely groundwork though we do some standing throws and grappling also. It is most often trained in conjunction with a similarly practical striking art by mixed martial artists e.g. cagefighters etc., or on it's own as a competitive submission grappling sport. Belts in Brazilian jujitsu are awarded on the basis of fighting prowess and technical ability, and are very difficult to come by - there are 3 black belts in the UK, maybe 30-50 worldwide (at a guess, I don't know for sure).

Traditional jujitsu incorporates striking techniques similar in some ways to karate etc., and as it's most often practised in the UK now is geared towards a family-friendly, light competitive sort of attitude with some Japanese philosophy and formal structure. Belts are often awarded in stages with gradings every 3-6 months so are largely dependent on how long you've been training, though you have to learn techniques from a syllabus which does get progressively harder as you go up the belts. (I'd personally only consider it challenging around the 2nd Dan level from my experience, though there is obviously variation from club to club). Some few clubs also train in a more truly traditional / pragmatic manner, but they're the exception rather than the rule - many techniques and training methods have been removed from the bulk of the style as they were considered dangerous. To be fair, quite a lot of the traditional training methods are dated, unhealthy or possibly even slightly sadistic when viewed from a modern anatomical / sport science point of view.

I'd recommend traditional jujitsu for children or those with a low level of fitness or confidence. For people wanting to learn useful fighting technique, Brazilian jujitsu is good for the groundwork / submission grappling aspect, Thai boxing / kickboxing (among others) for the striking.

I would go to the Royce seminar if I had time / money - I've been to two and enjoyed them. But I'm a bit busy with Uni and skint so I doubt I will. Enjoy though!

• 2 weeks later...

a big congratulations to eveyone who was graded by royce gracie this evening - i don't know about anyone else but i thoroughly enjoyed the seminar. also, big up to jon goldson for asking royce why he's took the matt hughes fight! 'nuff respect! lol

How did the seminar go, sounds like it was a success....how many were graded by Royce, belts, stripes etc., just being nosey lol

i thought it was really good - royce demonstrated some great defensive techniques/escapes and there was a helluva of people present, coming from as far afield as newcastle and cornwall. there were also people from different clubs (i.e. different affiliations) and the atmosphere was really nice, friendly and relaxed.

i'm not sure how many people were graded - i know a few people got their well earned blue belts and a few blue belts got an additional stripe or two.

Archived