Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Back Nacking ( getting from the top to the bottom of the road via back gardens in the dark did it loads of times down Bloor Street / Harold Street nearly got caught many times my dad would have killed me and my big brother

If they ever saw thee at neet, they would shout, "gerooum!", or "tek di ook".

I always thought "nippers" meant young uns, little kids. In Newfoundland, they call mosquitoes nippers, for obvious reasons.

hiya i remember one or two names when i was young,my dad used a hobbin foot with three feet, one heel, a ladies sole and a mans sole ,he had a cobblin knife and a hammer (cobblin) a rasp and a file, and a pair of what he caslled his nippers.( pincers) and he would send me for his tindles and small nails but never his leather, he would mend all our shoes in the fourties and fifties, sometimes my mum would mend them as well. one thing my dad would say about when his dad mended his and his siblings was that he never took the worn sole off and after a few mends they just got taller and taller with the size of the shoe soles.

One that still puzzles me is

"Stop acting gormy" and "stop acting gormless"

Which both mean the same thing!!

"Stop acting stupid"

How can you be stupid if youre devoid of "gorm" but also stupid if youre blessed with more than your fair share?

Can anyone shed any light.