Sheffieldish - words & phrases

I was brought up (in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, with a local mother and Barnsley-born father) with another meaning of a 'fuddle' - a meal with food and drink provided by the participants. It doesn't mean a party exactly, more just a sharing of what everyone has.

I've also heard the same thing called a 'Jacob's Join,' especially where those involved are members of a (possibly Methodist) chapel.

Does that mean anything to anyone else?

Also, my dad used to call people 'doy' (as in 'What's up, doy?'), which seemed to me something between 'dear' and 'darling.' Anyone?

---------- Post added 29-07-2013 at 16:13 ----------

Just remembered another one. It's more of a local expression that dialect but has anyone else come across the expression 'He wants taking to a big dog!' It means someone's behaviour merits some form of punishment...

Hmm a fuddle. I like that terminology! :D

At the church I used to go to we had what we called a "pot luck dinner" where everyone brought something, be it a main course or a dessert, and everyone shared in what was available.

In fact, funnily enough, as it's Ramadan, I am going to an iftar meal with the ladies of the mosque, tonight (a special meal where you break your day's fast) and the ladies are all bringing something to share, so, really, this meal will be a "pot-luck dinner" too! :D

Originally Posted by Yorkiepixie View Post

QUOTE I was brought up (in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, with a local mother and Barnsley-born father) with another meaning of a 'fuddle' - a meal with food and drink provided by the participants. It doesn't mean a party exactly, more just a sharing of what everyone has.QUOTE

For us a 'fuddle" was shared between two or three close family or friends, and consisted of "splurging" on treats from the shop, something you couldn't afford every day. - Fish and chips, pork pie, custard tarts for example.

The Fuddle I was referring to was usually called having a "little fuddle" or treating one self to a small luxury......

One that always puzzled me was "He came a cropper", how does this translate into " He had a bad fall " ?

Edited by grinder

• 2 weeks later...
It fits weer it touches..

"Thall be allreat thall grow into um!". Ever heard"Tek no notice he,s a fanny merchant!.=Translate"Take no notice of him he,s not telling the truth he,s exaggerating!".

---------- Post added 09-08-2013 at 11:49 ----------

I used to go to Freds Dancing when i was abit younger at about 9.30.-10.00pm they had a barn dance and it was said.

twice round the floor then out for your oats.

At the Locarno we called it the squirrel dance,twice round the floor and outside for your nuts!.Also at partys we would play "Jockeys Knock",it was the same as "Postmans Knock"but there was more horseplay!.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Well spotted that man....

I was just testing to see if you were listening..:|

Well, that's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it........:hihi:

PS

Dictionary,

FUDDLE...To cause to be confused or intoxicated ..

But when we had a FUDDLE it meant we'd eaten all the chocolates...

hiya, minede we orlus sed goosgobs. arabaht pinde lugs back. and windde neekin,weer wa dar brung up.