Sheffieldish - words & phrases

When playing 'mabs' (marbles) and a player got a marble in the hole he'd say 'oily' (holey)

The odd self-confident girl or two would sometimes join the boys for a game, respect.

A girl named Marie Sheedy was an absolute ace at marbles and would regularly skin us lads of all our collection.

When playing 'mabs' (marbles) and a player got a marble in the hole he'd say 'oily' (holey)

The odd self-confident girl or two would sometimes join the boys for a game, respect.

Girls weren't allowed mabs, they had to make do with whip and top which were much more dangerous. There was one top which was actually called "window breaker".

........or "bank it up" at night.

Mum always told us to "take clinkers outtut fire."

When mum could only afford cheap coal it would "send bangers out" meaning it was "nutty slack" or some such and would bang like mad sending bits shooting out all over the place, we then had to go round trying to find if the lino or carpet (front room only) had caught fire. It gave us much entertainment on a Winters' night.

Of course the coal came in "through't coil hoil", another place you could gain access to your house if you'd lost your key.

Kids today have missed out on so much!

hiya ,most times coil man would deliver in coil bags but odd times a delivery was tipped on the pavement in one heap, i remember one bad winter my gram and granddad who lived on the manor estate hadn't had a delivery

for some time due to the icey roads so my mum and dad and me filled three bags with coal and took them on the tram for them. also remember the coal yards dotted about where you could buy half or one hundredweight of coal and wheel it home in a little wooden barrow with cast-iron wheels,

---------- Post added 03-07-2014 at 21:09 ----------

[/color]

Girls weren't allowed mabs, they had to make do with whip and top which were much more dangerous. There was one top which was actually called "window breaker".

hiya, i remember the whip and top, and the window breaker this one had just string coiled around it and you just threw it to start it spinning, in my mum and dads day they had diablo never saw this myself.

Edited by willybite

I can remember only two shapes for tops, one like a Mushroom and the other one was like a very short fat stubby pencil, with groves in it.

Thinking back even starting them off should have been a safety glasses and tin hat job for everyone within 50 yards.

Another safety first nightmare I remember having looked like a tomahawk, you put caps in one end of the head, and covered it with a tight fitting metal cap about the diameter of a shilling with feathers stuck in it, then you hammered the other end as hard as you could on the floor making the caps exploded and shoot the metal feathered thingy high into the air..

Like I said, it's amazing we survived childhood....

I can remember only two shapes for tops, one like a Mushroom and the other one was like a very short fat stubby pencil, with groves in it.

Thinking back even starting them off should have been a safety glasses and tin hat job for everyone within 50 yards.

Another safety first nightmare I remember having looked like a tomahawk, you put caps in one end of the head, and covered it with a tight fitting metal cap about the diameter of a shilling with feathers stuck in it, then you hammered the other end as hard as you could on the floor making the caps exploded and shoot the metal feathered thingy high into the air..

Like I said, it's amazing we survived childhood....

Our row houses in Heeley all had connecting cellars and attics, so it was impossible to stop the spread of blackclocks (cockroaches) and bedbugs.

Thanks to DDT, we managed to keep them at bay.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 09:38 ----------

........or "bank it up" at night.

Mum always told us to "take clinkers outtut fire."

Clinkers?

Where did thar come from?

Only thing came out of our fireplace was cowks and ashes.

Ashes for the garden, and we used to riddle the cowks out to use for the garden path.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 09:41 ----------

Another safety first nightmare I remember having looked like a tomahawk, you put caps in one end of the head, and covered it with a tight fitting metal cap about the diameter of a shilling with feathers stuck in it, then you hammered the other end as hard as you could on the floor making the caps exploded and shoot the metal feathered thingy high into the air....

Remember also the darts we made with a piece of stick and feathers?

A lump of plastesene at the business end where you stuck caps or match ends?

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 09:47 ----------

...the other one was like a very short fat stubby pencil, with groves in it....

Remember how we used to make designs (spirals etc) on the flat tops with colored chalks? Some were quite artistic, and when they were spinning it looked like a moving spirograph.

I think clinkers comes from the name for the remnants of the coals/cokes in the bottom of the "whatsit" (I forget the technical name ) where the metal is smelted.

Clinkers is also another name for "dangleberries" :)