Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Clinkers is also another name for "dangleberries" :)

You know I just could not believe it when Star trek introduced a race called the Klingon's !!!! .......:o

My grandma was very partial to the words PARTIAL and FUNNYOSITY.

You were a right funnyosity if you weren't partial to a plate of tripe and onions...:)

Edited by grinder

Clinkers (in our house anyrooad) were the lumps of coal (probably cheap stuff) which had sort of melted together to form a hard mass which had a metallic appearance, they never burnt so we had to take them out before adding new coal.

I believe that "clinkers" was a term used in the steel industry for the "scum" which collected on top and had to be scraped off, could be wrong, no doubt someone will correct me on that.

I came from Heeley/ Meersbrook (hence my username) where we had coiloils, cellarheeards, yards (outside toilets), and 'obbingfoots (to mend shoes).

We also ate "clarty bread" (if the bread didn't have a proper home made openness).

Duffems

Clinkers (in our house anyrooad) were the lumps of coal (probably cheap stuff) which had sort of melted together to form a hard mass which had a metallic appearance, they never burnt so we had to take them out before adding new coal.

I believe that "clinkers" was a term used in the steel industry for the "scum" which collected on top and had to be scraped off, could be wrong, no doubt someone will correct me on that.

I came from Heeley/ Meersbrook (hence my username) where we had coiloils, cellarheeards, yards (outside toilets), and 'obbingfoots (to mend shoes).

We also ate "clarty bread" (if the bread didn't have a proper home made openness).

Duffems

You're right, (even if you did come from the posh part of Heeley :)).

We had a setpot and and gas ring in our kitchen. No hot water.

Clinkers is also another name for "dangleberries" :)

You know I just could not believe it when Star trek introduced a race called the Klingon's !!!! .......:o

My grandma was very partial to the words PARTIAL and FUNNYOSITY.

You were a right funnyosity if you weren't partial to a plate of tripe and onions...:)

yep, they were clinkers, and dangleberries in our house, too, and then later evolved into being called klingons. lol

[quote=DUFFEMS;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drifted off slang a bit, but I remember those cobwebbed, whitewashed, outside bogs too. We were grateful for the rusty nail the caring landlord had provided and which was specially located for hanging paper squares torn out of the Daily Herald. There was a lane at the back of those facilities on William Street, down which the night soil men's cart would go for servicing when they were earth closets before main drainage had been laid. And going back to old terms........ we had an "accumulator", a wet battery which needed a regular charge to pick up 2LO on the wireless........ or so I've been told !

hiya,or asta goh werms.or stop fidgetin abart, my wife still uses orlort shant.

my mother would say "gie-ore 'chatting' " if my sister and I scratched our heads. she'd say "tha 'ant got chats, so gi-oer!"

I was fortunate, I never had head lice as a child, but mum would take the mickey when brushing our hair, and whack us on the head, and say, triumphantly, "ten thousand homeless!"