Sheffieldish - words & phrases

My first cigarette, back when I was aged 14, was a Consulate. (a menthol cig... my friend said "here, have a drag of this, it's like smoking fresh air." I did. "*cough, choke cough Splutter*". I turned a lovely shade of green.)

Oh just thought of another, capstan full strength

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------......... And the advertising slogans to get us on to words again !

Kensitas Came in packs of 20 with a small box of 4 stuck on one end. " Four for your Friends " said the waiter holding out a silver salver.

De Reske Minors Had adverts showing up-market lads & lasses often

in white one-piece racing overalls, fag in mouth, leaning on a car bonnet or by the front end of a private aircraft. " Ten minutes to spare..... Mine's a Minor" was the intelligent observation.

And how many took heart from believing

" For Your Throat's Sake, Smoke Craven- A" ? Or were you never alone with a Strand ?

Edited by cartav
error

I can remember buying Dominoes at the Woodseats Picture Palace in the 60's. They came in 4's, wrapped in a paper packet and cost a tanner..........

I can remember buying Dominoes at the Woodseats Picture Palace in the 60's. They came in 4's, wrapped in a paper packet and cost a tanner..........

And not much bigger than the match you would use to light them with:)

---------- Post added 01-08-2014 at 08:51 ----------

Larruped = ssedpi as a fart.

• 1 month later...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------......... And the advertising slogans to get us on to words again !

Kensitas Came in packs of 20 with a small box of 4 stuck on one end. " Four for your Friends " said the waiter holding out a silver salver.

De Reske Minors Had adverts showing up-market lads & lasses often

in white one-piece racing overalls, fag in mouth, leaning on a car bonnet or by the front end of a private aircraft. " Ten minutes to spare..... Mine's a Minor" was the intelligent observation.

And how many took heart from believing

" For Your Throat's Sake, Smoke Craven- A" ? Or were you never alone with a Strand ?

I'm a bit younger, I think, so the advert for cigarettes that I can remember for Kensitas was the one that said "Spot the Kensitas smoker".

I can't remember when they stopped the showing of ads for cigarettes on TV etc, but that's about the only ad I can remember for cigarettes.

I remember cigar adverts such as the one for Hamlet, which for donkey's years had "Air on a G-string" as the theme. About the last one I remember being shown for hamlet, was Gregor fisher, as baldyman, with his combover, unsuccessfully trying to get his photo taken in a photo booth.

Strange, but the old slang for coinage hasn't come up yet, has it ? Remember when small change was copper and silver was worth a bit more ? Both could have been made from those metals, not the imitation stuff we have today. Kids loved pennies & ha'pennies, they could be laid on the tram tracks to be squashed to twice their size by a passing city bound double decker.

A Sixpence was a tanner; two tanners, a shilling, was a bob; two bob was a florin. A thirty pence coin, two and a half bob, was a half crown or half a dollar when there were four dollars to the pound. A crown, a five shilling coin was minted, but wasn't common or something used for everyday purchases. It was more likely to be given to a grandchild, or such, maybe as a keepsake. Dead simple ! Pocket calculators wouldn't come along until we went decimal so everybody had to be up with the mental stuff.

There was one special coin , the Honolulu Penny, prized by some as a giggle. On these pennies, minted in the early 1900s, I think, Britannia was seated as usual but the end of her trident wasn't mid-thigh, it terminated further back.......... Honolulu ! as some said.

Edited by cartav

Strange, but the old slang for coinage hasn't come up yet, has it ? Remember when small change was copper and silver was worth a bit more ? Both could have been made from those metals, not the imitation stuff we have today. Kids loved pennies & ha'pennies, they could be laid on the tram tracks to be squashed to twice their size by a passing city bound double decker.

A Sixpence was a tanner; two tanners, a shilling, was a bob; two bob was a florin. A thirty pence coin, two and a half bob, was a half crown or half a dollar when there were four dollars to the pound. A crown, a five shilling coin was minted, but wasn't common or something used for everyday purchases. It was more likely to be given to a grandchild, or such, maybe as a keepsake. Dead simple ! Pocket calculators wouldn't come along until we went decimal so everybody had to be up with the mental stuff.

There was one special coin , the Honolulu Penny, prized by some as a giggle. On these pennies, minted in the early 1900s, I think, Britannia was seated as usual but the end of her trident wasn't mid-thigh, it terminated further back.......... Honolulu ! as some said.

Ten bob was half a nicker.

And the high end furniture shops and clothing stores (especially ladiesware) always priced their stuff in guineas.

Ten bob was half a nicker.

And the high end furniture shops and clothing stores (especially ladiesware) always priced their stuff in guineas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, yes! I'd forgotten paper money................ But going right back, probably to around WW1 I'd guess, ( and no! I don't recall using it, it's something I read ), a one pound note, a nicker, was called a Bradbury. And that was the name of the guy who's name was signed on the bottom, the then governor of the Bank of England.