Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Strange, but the old slang for coinage hasn't come up yet, has it ? Remember when small change was copper and silver was worth a bit more ? Both could have been made from those metals, not the imitation stuff we have today. Kids loved pennies & ha'pennies, they could be laid on the tram tracks to be squashed to twice their size by a passing city bound double decker.

A Sixpence was a tanner; two tanners, a shilling, was a bob; two bob was a florin. A thirty pence coin, two and a half bob, was a half crown or half a dollar when there were four dollars to the pound. A crown, a five shilling coin was minted, but wasn't common or something used for everyday purchases. It was more likely to be given to a grandchild, or such, maybe as a keepsake. Dead simple ! Pocket calculators wouldn't come along until we went decimal so everybody had to be up with the mental stuff.

There was one special coin , the Honolulu Penny, prized by some as a giggle. On these pennies, minted in the early 1900s, I think, Britannia was seated as usual but the end of her trident wasn't mid-thigh, it terminated further back.......... Honolulu ! as some said.

hiya I remember 1949/50.in mr price's class we were given a lesson in mental arithmetic no calculators then, I've mentioned before miss hall would have us recite the times tables, and the money tables, 12pence= 1 shilling,

18 pence = 1 and sixpence, 20 pence=1 and eight pence, 24 pence =2 shillings, and so on.

Yeah, I suppose kids are still taught tables by rote but I wonder if the system has improved them........... Seeking some photostats I went in a corner shop where a young girl, maybe just a school leaver, was behind the counter. " Seven copies at 8p each...... " I said to help count out the right money, ".......... that's 56p". " Er, No!" she said " Can't be right, 'cos eight sevens is 56 ".

hiya I remember 1949/50.in mr price's class we were given a lesson in mental arithmetic no calculators then, I've mentioned before miss hall would have us recite the times tables, and the money tables, 12pence= 1 shilling,

18 pence = 1 and sixpence, 20 pence=1 and eight pence, 24 pence =2 shillings, and so on.

Rote was very useful.

"30 days hath September, April, June and November....."

Rote was very useful.

"30 days hath September, April, June and November....."

Never could understand how the pre-decimal coinage values came into being. The following aide memoire was taught to us to assist with an understanding of Metric............

Two & a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram.

A metre measured three feet three, it's longer than a yard, you see.

A litre of water's a pint & three quarters.

We did our times table but the only money bit I remember was at the end of each table.

12 x 12 = 144, 144 pence = 12/- or 12 x 8 = 96, 96 pence = 8/-

Thought that was the reason the tables went up to twelve, but after all those years of swatting , they've only gone and went decimal dint di ...........:mad:

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Never could understand how the pre-decimal coinage values came into being. The following aide memoire was taught to us to assist with an understanding of Metric............

Two & a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram.

A metre measured three feet three, it's longer than a yard, you see.

A litre of water's a pint & three quarters.

Also I never could under stand why it was L. s. d. ?

Apparently L and the D were Latin and the S was Austrian plus I believe the nearest we ever came to a decimal coin was the two bob piece..

We did our times table but the only money bit I remember was at the end of each table.

12 x 12 = 144, 144 pence = 12/- or 12 x 8 = 96, 96 pence = 8/-

Thought that was the reason the tables went up to twelve, but after all those years of swatting , they've only gone and went decimal dint di ...........:mad:

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Also I never could under stand why it was L. s. d. ?

Apparently L and the D were Latin and the S was Austrian plus I believe the nearest we ever came to a decimal coin was the two bob piece..

The abbreviation originates from the Latin currency denominations librae, solidi, and denarii. L, s and d