Sheffieldish - words & phrases

We always said

Hickey with his eye cut, this is the nearest I can get ...http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/charles_albright/22.html

Thanks for that rossyrooney, I always said it was " with his eye cut " but I was told I was wrong so I'm now going back to my original thoughts.

Yeah, I suppose kids are still taught tables by rote but I wonder if the system has improved them........... Seeking some photostats I went in a corner shop where a young girl, maybe just a school leaver, was behind the counter. " Seven copies at 8p each...... " I said to help count out the right money, ".......... that's 56p". " Er, No!" she said " Can't be right, 'cos eight sevens is 56 ".

hiya, a similar thing happened to me in 1988, I was in a shop who had had a new electric till with the contents printout, he told me it had broken down and one of the assistants who was on work experience from school was serving a customer with a short list when it broke down, when the boss said get a piece of paper and add it up but she wanted a calculator as she hadn't used the mental way for a long time.

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 20:33 ----------

We did our times table but the only money bit I remember was at the end of each table.

12 x 12 = 144, 144 pence = 12/- or 12 x 8 = 96, 96 pence = 8/-

Thought that was the reason the tables went up to twelve, but after all those years of swatting , they've only gone and went decimal dint di ...........:mad:

---------- Post added 04-10-2014 at 16:39 ----------

Also I never could under stand why it was L. s. d. ?

Apparently L and the D were Latin and the S was Austrian plus I believe the nearest we ever came to a decimal coin was the two bob piece..

hiya j grinder ar tha well owd lad, nar then wen tha sez l.s.d. tha dunt read l.s.d. tha reads £.s.d. or els pound shillings and pence. the sees in ar yung days thi wer no butns tu press lyk turday so pound sign got mixed up with the letter l.

Or "'e's 'ad a good innings"

Sheffield City of Sport.......

---------- Post added 10-10-2014 at 22:14 ----------

Having a good time......

Lettin yer chickens fly

letting yer hair down!

Havin a shin dig

A relght bun fight

:headbang: