Sheffieldish - words & phrases

We all lived on top of each other and "woe betide" a new neighbor who didn't conform, keep a tidy hearth, donkeystone her steps, or be proud of her washing displayed on the line, or even worse, flirted with a neighbours husband.

Tongues would wag!

We were all living in onener nuther pockets , an every body knew everybody elses business......:suspect:

Edited by grinder

• 1 month later...
Ah burrits still not Kippered it....;)

HIYA GRINDER J, MY WIFE A PARK LASS born and bred still says things like

orlort shant,or orlort show. werry rats,cumaday gooaday. stop pickin de wilk,sit still asda got st vitas dance,soddin ell. me old nan used to say when i was little she sells sea shells on the sea shore,i can't remember the rest.

then there is

ladies go nim nim nim, gentlemen go trit trot trit trot,cowboys go galopy galopy over the gate and it always comes out when a little one gets to around one or two years old, the first time i heard it was when my cousin was a baby and she is 70 now, it was passed down to my daughter,my grand children and now my great grandchild,

Edited by willybite

if something is not plumb i still say its cockled over, only found out the other year from a non sheffielder there is no such word.

Just because dictionarys attribute other meanings to 'cockled' does not mean our version is wrong, just that they did not do their research thoroughly.

If you let others dictate their standards on and to you ...then they will.

cockled ower..however you choose to spell it

can mean anything from not vertical to turned upside down.

A pet hate is people trying to tell others how to spell both yorkshire and sheffieldish. It is spelled the same as most people spell things.

If you are trying to spell it phonetically to enable correct pronunciation please stop putting t' in wherever you feel like it. Its typical of none native speakers and makes the writer look a prat.

something on a shelf is .....ont shelf almost becoming one word

on t' shelf ...looks as though it was written by an ignorant academic

here's one more for the list..... laikin ... also not in any standard dictionaries ... meanings dependent on context

playing

messing

loitering

hanging around ....distinct from loitering

Hi trastrick

Was your Mum Carol Parkin from Arbourthorne ?

---------- Post added 18-12-2014 at 18:40 ----------

britches-----trousers, knickers

causey---pavement

faffin’-- messing about

flaggin’--getting tired

Sorry, I'm a Rastrick on my father's side, and a Morris on my mother's.

Grew up in Heeley, then Arbouthorne.

Sorry but I thought this was you :)

trastrick

23-06-2013, 11:28

I remember Pete Scholey's mum Connie. Her and my Nanan were good friends. My Nanan was Eva Parkin and she lived with her parents Edgar and Eva Stocks on Myrtle Road, opposide the cobbles on Heeley Green. My mum Carol Parkin born 1944 went to Heeley Bank school, as did her brother Ronnie Parkin who is a few years older.

Yes, I remember Connie, she was a single mother at the time and working.

Me and Pete set up their cellar kitchen to make small tables and stools, but we never finished the first one. He did go on to be a joiner though. Last I heard Pete was in South Africa.

My granma Caswell lived across the road at 348, next door to my pal Hewie Keenan. Another pal Frank Roncksly lived a couple of doors down.

I do remember Ronnie at Heeley Bank, a year or two older than me. He played football for the school.

(I hadn't heard that term "cobbles" in 60 years.)