Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Yes, I was into scraps. We always knew black pudding as black dag. Potted meat (not seen it since I left Sheffield) was known as potted dog. Sliced potatoes dipped in batter and fried were scallops. Rice pudding was Chinese wedding cake. There was a pub built into the old Corn Exchange before it was demolished, known as T' Manche, I think it was really called The Norfolk Arms or something like that. It was frequented by workers from the fruit and veg market. At school, Nether Edge Grammar we played a playground game known to us as "Finger, Thumb and Rusty Bum" a sort of an adaptation of leap frog.

Mike

To be honest I didn't even know Rag men had trumpets ! The only one I can remember walked around pulling a small cart shouting "Donkey stone for rags oh"....

Gollapin.......Something you did with your dinner when you wanted to get back out to play footty...

Fizzog........Wasn't that your face ?

Edited by grinder

I dont think this has been mentioned before, i sow it on S/F not so long ago

togger = football

Togger were payed wi a "pill"

"Who's got t'pill?"

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 13:08 ----------

Used to work with an old lad who used to often exclaim, after someone had dropped a clanger..."He wants sh*gging with a rag mans trumpet! "

My work mate preferred violating them wi a red 'ot file! :o

Togger were payed wi a "pill"

"Who's got t'pill?"

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 13:08 ----------

My work mate preferred violating them wi a red 'ot file! :o

My best mate's dad, (RIP) used to say

"They want an umbrella shoving up their backside, opening, and pulling back down!