Sheffieldish - words & phrases

My grandad always said ' were tha born in a field' when I left the door open. When I moved in with the Mrs apparently we were 'livin under't brush'. Others I remember - 'our kid' - brother, scranning - a dog begging, corsey edge - kerbside, tekky watter - dirty water, corporation white wine - tap water, he is not as green as cabbage looking - not sure if this one is local, as old as me eyes and not as old as me teeth - nan answering how old she was, proThey are very long ball, keeper has a monstrous kick (although there home ground is very small pitch wise) they don't have a single special player neither, I was very disappointed with our performance against them.per loppy - really dirty, ten bob millionaire - someone pretending to have more cash than they really have.

theres a book on amazon books and kindle if you have' i bought one about 3/4 weeks go called sheffield slang and phrases it was very cheap about 3 quid i think, theres anothe book you might like the street gangs of sheffield. did you know there are 3 or 4 dialects in sheffield, theres one in the north of sheffield which is like barsley, the east and the south these books are ok lots of info, theres one which is more photographic book 1 of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s there are probably more if you delve deaper the 60s one sho photos of the city centre and lots of places have fun steve

o

My grandad always said ' were tha born in a field' when I left the door open. When I moved in with the Mrs apparently we were 'livin under't brush'. Others I remember - 'our kid' - brother, scranning - a dog begging, corsey edge - kerbside, tekky watter - dirty water, corporation white wine - tap water, he is not as green as cabbage looking - not sure if this one is local, as old as me eyes and not as old as me teeth - nan answering how old she was, proThey are very long ball, keeper has a monstrous kick (although there home ground is very small pitch wise) they don't have a single special player neither, I was very disappointed with our performance against them.per loppy - really dirty, ten bob millionaire - someone pretending to have more cash than they really have.

i remomber all these and more ones always puzzles me and its not as green as cabbaging looking, i was born in rotherhamuntill they died my grandparents called sheffield like most folk there it was called shefeld i often find myself slipping back into the old ways