Sheffieldish - words & phrases

It may have been my voice I know but all we ever got was "Wiv ad sumbody" !! which was taken as a no, but it never stopped that feeling of anticipation at the next door we sang at..

Where we just simple minded back then in the days before TV, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to try it now when Corrie was on.......:rant:

hiya, i remember a discription one calling another, a get,like he's an idle get ,or he's a lucky get. never made sense to me

hiya, i remember a discription one calling another, a get,like he's an idle get ,or he's a lucky get. never made sense to me

I understood get to be a slightly better (note, slightly) way of saying ba..- erm.. "illegitimate" *cough*

It may have been my voice I know but all we ever got was "Wiv ad sumbody" !! which was taken as a no, but it never stopped that feeling of anticipation at the next door we sang at..

Where we just simple minded back then in the days before TV, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to try it now when Corrie was on.......:rant:

Christmas was caroling, but New Years was "mummering".

Blacked your face with soot and went around singing,

"Happy New Year, happy New Year

Plenty of money and a celler full of beer.

Hole in mi stocking, hole in mi shoe

Please can you spare us a copper or two?

Then usually if they had had a drink or two, they would invite you in to poke the fire. Not sure why but it seemed a good luck tradition for them.

Then a verse or two of Old Land Sign, pass around the tin can and off to the next.

Edited by trastrick

Lankey, someone over 5ft11 and slim built. Lankey streak of bacon was the expression used.

A sneck was the hooked lever opposite the spoon side on the outhouse door, sometimes used as a nickname for someone with a long nose.

Jaspers were wasps

Lakin. playing, as in What tha lakin around at

Oer yon, over there

Seller-ed, The top of the Cellar

Gubbins, items or belongings

bobbar, number twos

crow, or bogie, nose refuse.

Larakin someone who only made it halfway to being a wit.

charlie a half charlie was a half housebrick

gobbo cement, brickies would shout this from the top of a building if they needed more.

lots of words seem like slang names but are just a really bad pronunciation of the original word, Booits, shoys and cooat are 3 examples.

Lug oil = ear

trammel = useless paraphernalia

Slobbing = when oversized hand me down shoes leave a raw blister at the back of your heel.

maw = spam, prem

Some Indian expressions

kaibosh

bakshee

palaver

Lug oil = ear

trammel = useless paraphernalia

Slobbing = when oversized hand me down shoes leave a raw blister at the back of your heel.

maw = spam, prem

Some Indian expressions

kaibosh

bakshee

palaver

Bakshee is from the arabic, "Baksheesh" or charity/ gift/ tip.

trammel? I know "Trantlements" or "rammel", both of which mean paraphernalia.

Kybosh:- yep, "that's put the kybosh on that Idea!"