Please help me recognise this house in Sheffield

The mystery deepens.

I arrived home yesterday from a trip overseas for work and looked up the painting of the house in the definitive book about H. E. Allen, 'Harry Epworth Allen (1894 - 1958 ) : Catalogue of His Works' by John Basford of the Derwent-Wye Gallery in Rowsley

The painting has an alternative title, 'Country Lane, Ringinglow'. :confused:

That would rule out Brincliffe Edge Road as the location.

This has me stumped. I know Mayfield Valley and Ringinglow pretty well but don't recognise it. Although the painting is pretty vague! There is a possibility that the house no longer exists though?! It is pretty old.

How about the house on the right as you come over the top of Woodcliffe towards Angram Lane? It's been altered a lot recently but the position is very similar, and the door has been bricked up and a window inserted.

... Hangram Lane. No wonder I couldn't find it ;)

I think the easiest thing is going to be to look at some historical maps, probably from around 1900, or earlier, as there will be less properties on there, but should cover the age of this house (although the painting is 1930's)

I'm browsing on my phone, and streetviewing has been a bit of a nightmare, so I'm not going to tackle historical maps until I can get on the laptop

The other interesting thing is that piece of pavement. A bit unusual for a totally rural location, where you might expect to find only road

... Hangram Lane. No wonder I couldn't find it ;)

I think the easiest thing is going to be to look at some historical maps, probably from around 1900, or earlier, as there will be less properties on there, but should cover the age of this house (although the painting is 1930's)

I'm browsing on my phone, and streetviewing has been a bit of a nightmare, so I'm not going to tackle historical maps until I can get on the laptop

The other interesting thing is that piece of pavement. A bit unusual for a totally rural location, where you might expect to find only road

The footway's still there but no paving slabs. Not unusual for the area though, the old slabs are gradually being nicked!

I did wonder about Hangram Lane originally as the buildings are losely in the same style, and wondered if it was an amalgamation of several real houses into one idealised cottage.

However, just up the road a bit past the Norfolk Arms, you get this view

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.349578,-1.56499&spn=0.000448,0.00101&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.349578,-1.56499&panoid=334QsrAAFU6OvPtTnwDIrA&cbp=12,301.61,,1,2.85

Two windows, the door could have had a rounded top prior to the porch being fitted, another door to it's right, and the garden wall could easily have been knocked down & re-built when the junction was widened. The garden wall also looks newer than the ones at the other end of the terrace.

Now that I've composed this mail, and tried to view it, the two links don't seem to be opening correctly. It is of the last house in the terrace going past The Norfolk Arms towards Burbage, on the corner of Fulwwod Lane & Ringinglow Road https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.349634,-1.565043&spn=0.000896,0.00202&t=h&z=20

I did wonder about Hangram Lane originally as the buildings are losely in the same style, and wondered if it was an amalgamation of several real houses into one idealised cottage.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.349578,-1.56499&spn=0.000448,0.00101&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.349578,-1.56499&panoid=334QsrAAFU6OvPtTnwDIrA&cbp=12,301.61,,1,2.85

Two windows, the door could have had a rounded top prior to the porch being fitted, another door to it's right, and the garden wall could easily have been knocked down & re-built when the junction was widened. The garden wall also looks newer than the ones at the other end of the terrace.

Now that I've composed this mail, and tried to view it, the two links don't seem to be opening correctly. It is of the last house in the terrace going past The Norfolk Arms towards Burbage, on the corner of Fulwwod Lane & Ringinglow Road https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.349634,-1.565043&spn=0.000896,0.00202&t=h&z=20

looks pretty much like it to me...

Two windows, the door could have had a rounded top prior to the porch being fitted, another door to it's right, and the garden wall could easily have been knocked down & re-built when the junction was widened. The garden wall also looks newer than the ones at the other end of the terrace....

I don't think the house in the painting has two adjacent doors. From the proportions and curtains, it's a window behind the blueish garden gate on the lower extreme right.