Please help me recognise this house in Sheffield

Don't think its in Bents Green and definitely not those cottages at Bowser Bottom (Wire Mill Dam). Has a look of Fulwood about it. Lovely pic.

Could be the bottom of Brookhouse Hill, Fulwood, number 112, but then again it could be anywhere..

Edited by scargill

I think we may have a winner

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=196+Brincliffe+Edge+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.357032,-1.499119&spn=0.006288,0.021136&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.517967,21.643066&oq=196+brinc&hnear=196+Brincliffe+Edge+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+9BY,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.357069,-1.499229&panoid=4mUgs3ucWisIRV6uEoMSYA&cbp=12,0,,0,0

The front wall (no longer with railings), tall gate posts and slight bend in the road are quite convincing. There are modern houses next to it now so it quite likely would have been wooded at the time of the painting.

The windows are wrong and don't match, on the painting they have stone / brick headers, on the street view image the windows are right up to the gutter with no headers, in the painting the door is in a different place. could be artists licence to change it.

Lithlingow sounds like a muddle of Linlithgow, which is in Scotland

I can't look just now, but a good proportion of the properties on Abbey Lane are distinctly Scottish in style, and many of the neighbouring streets have Scottish (and probably even Glasweigan) names

I'll have a proper look later

Looks a bit like the Morrisons at Hillsborough.

Artistic license is a wonderful thing i thought the painting was a bit like the one my granddaughter did for her nine year olds art class.Could be wrong.

Lithlingow sounds like a muddle of Linlithgow, which is in Scotland

I can't look just now, but a good proportion of the properties on Abbey Lane are distinctly Scottish in style, and many of the neighbouring streets have Scottish (and probably even Glasweigan) names

I'll have a proper look later

Sure you don't mean Carterknowle Road (Struan, Montrose, Glenorchy etc)? BTW what is Scottish in style when it comes to properties?

Sure you don't mean Carterknowle Road (Struan, Montrose, Glenorchy etc)? BTW what is Scottish in style when it comes to properties?

you could be right

Style is difficult to put a finger on, but I used to live in Glasgow, and there's bits of Sheffield that look moreike Glasgow than they do Yorkshire ;)

I'll have a proper look later... and at a piece of Scarsdale road that has new properties on that seems to have the right gradient and curves

haha okay, it was similar enough to mention. any idea what your house looked like in 1940 - did it have the extension on the side?

also, your house looks a lot better now than i remember it from years back

it wouldnt have a clue , i wasnt born till 1967 lol, but i do know the house wasnt even built in the 40s :)

it wouldnt have a clue , i wasnt born till 1967 lol, but i do know the house wasnt even built in the 40s :)

it's definitely not your house in the painting, at least we've narrowed the search down a little :D