Please help me recognise this house in Sheffield

The windows are wrong and don't match, on the painting they have stone / brick headers, on the street view image the windows are right up to the gutter with no headers, in the painting the door is in a different place. could be artists licence to change it.

The door is in the same place but a porch has been added. There seems to be another gate on the right hand side of the painting.

The door is in the same place but a porch has been added. There seems to be another gate on the right hand side of the painting.

I live very close to Brincliffe Edge Road, I'll do a drive-by tomorrow and see if there's any sign of the other gate. Artists do employ a certain amount of licence to make a better composition, famously in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres,_La_Grande_Odalisque,_1814.jpg

I live very close to Brincliffe Edge Road, I'll do a drive-by tomorrow and see if there's any sign of the other gate. Artists do employ a certain amount of licence to make a better composition, famously in this example:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/Jean_Auguste_Dominique_Ingres,_La_Grande_Odalisque,_1814.jpg

The gateway has been bricked up (or should that be stoned up) but the stone gatepost is still there. I believe it's the same cottage as in the painting. Yes, the artist has used licence unless the windows have had their heights increased.

I think we may have a winner

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=196+Brincliffe+Edge+Road,+Sheffield&hl=en&ll=53.357032,-1.499119&spn=0.006288,0.021136&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=6.517967,21.643066&oq=196+brinc&hnear=196+Brincliffe+Edge+Rd,+Sheffield+S11+9BY,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.357069,-1.499229&panoid=4mUgs3ucWisIRV6uEoMSYA&cbp=12,0,,0,0

The front wall (no longer with railings), tall gate posts and slight bend in the road are quite convincing. There are modern houses next to it now so it quite likely would have been wooded at the time of the painting.

It's a possibility, but I recall that house being uninhabited and semi-derelict for many years before it was done up. I'm fairly certain it's brick under that render.

I've been digging

The picture appears in numerous places with the (presumably correct) title of 'Linlithgow, Sheffield'

There seems to be very little info available about the artist, but I did come across some useful info - the addresses are most interesting

Originally sourced from here

Note on Husband: Harry Epworth ALLEN

not in 1901 census

1894-1899 36 William Street, Broomhall

1902-1904 20 Kirkstall Road, Sharrow

1904-1914 28 Stainton Road, Endcliffe

1914-1925 67 Banner Cross Road, Ecclesall

1925-1932 32 Bents Green Road

1932-1958 67 Banner Cross Road, Ecclesall

All addresses in Sheffield

1894- 27th November Born to Henry and Elizabeth Allen.

1902- Sheffield Weekly Independent, Art studentship competition, third prize pen and ink drawing.

1907-11- Attended King Edward VII Scool, Sheffield. Took his Lower School Certificates in 1910 gaining passes in Latin, French, German, Additional Mathematics; English History, and Experimental Science. He gained First Classes (distinctions) in Arithmetic, Scripture and English- a set of results that resulted in him gaining a Lower School Certificate Prize.

1911- Matriculation from King Edward VII School.

1911- Begins work as a clerk at Arthur Balfour steel works.

1912- Enrols as a student of art at Sheffield Technical School of Art.

1915- October- Enlists into the Royal Garrison Artillery Regular Army.

1916- June- Posted to the British Expeditionary Force in France. Worked as an assistant to the observation officer detailing enemy troop and equipment locations etc.- sketching in the field.

1917- Awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous gallantry. Badly wounded; one leg amputated above the knee, the other leg seriously injured by shrapnel. The King Edward VII School Magazine for 1917 has this: 'Private H.E.Allen (R.G.A.) has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous gallantry under heavy shell fire on January 25th, 1917. He was an assistant to the observation officer, and had many exciting times in this post. Under heavy shelling of the enemy he found his officer completely buried in the dug-out, and, though under heavy fire, tried to extricate him. A shell falling within a yard of him buried and bruised him, but he managed to get free and obtain further assistance and save the officer's life. Unfortunately, Allen himself was badly wounded in both legs, and lies in hospital in France.' (DEC has erroneously, 'burned and bruised him'.)

1918- January- Discharged from the army on medical grounds.

c.1918-20-Re-employed by Balfour.

1920's- Involved in art societies in Sheffield. (Sheffield Society of Artists, Hallamshire Sketch Club- from 1932 known as the Hallamshire Art Society, Heeley Art Club)

1920's -Pupil of Frank Saltfleet.

1926- Becomes Balfour's confidential secretary. (Arthur Balfour, first Baron Riverdale)

1931- Made redundant, becomes professional painter.

1932- Father dies, Harry and Lucy go to live with Harry's mother.

1933- Three works accepted at the Royal Academy. (39 works exhibited over 23 years)

1935- Invited to become an Associate of the Royal Society of British Artists.

1937- Resigns membership of Sheffield Society of Artists.

I wasn't convinced by the Brincliffe edge road suggestion (for the architectural details mentioned, notably the windows in relation to the roof), however, given the fact that he had his legs blown off and his address when he was producing most of his work, I think it could be plausible

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 04:00 ----------

Sure you don't mean Carterknowle Road (Struan, Montrose, Glenorchy etc)? BTW what is Scottish in style when it comes to properties?

notably these: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=abbey+lane&hl=en&ll=53.33767,-1.488594&spn=0.003299,0.009645&sll=53.356731,-1.498303&sspn=0.003323,0.009645&t=h&hnear=Abbey+Ln,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.33785,-1.488221&panoid=uIY5DC3UCLNNHLY-iPfwHw&cbp=12,330.18,,0,2.9

There's one around the corner that's mindblowingly out of place (not Scottish though):https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=abbey+lane&hl=en&ll=53.340182,-1.486298&spn=0.003299,0.009645&sll=53.356731,-1.498303&sspn=0.003323,0.009645&t=h&hnear=Abbey+Ln,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S8,+United+Kingdom&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.340123,-1.486407&panoid=SjgJa6s5VlshkX_uy1e5Dw&cbp=12,301.55,,0,-2

I've been digging

The picture appears in numerous places with the (presumably correct) title of 'Linlithgow, Sheffield'

There seems to be very little info available about the artist, but I did come across some useful info - the addresses are most interesting

I wasn't convinced by the Brincliffe edge road suggestion (for the architectural details mentioned, notably the windows in relation to the roof), however, given the fact that he had his legs blown off and his address when he was producing most of his work, I think it could be plausible

Thanks for finding all that stuff. There used to be something called The Harry Epworth Allen Foundation with lots of info on him, which was run out of the Derwent-Wye Gallery in Rowsley who promote his work and have had several exhibitions. The Duke of Devonshire is a fan and has bought quite a few of his works. Unfortunately the website for the 'foundation' is defunct.

I saw this one displayed at Chatsworth last year -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/601824_10152444259971686_1934018156_n.jpg

His lost leg didn't slow him down or confine his painting. Many were out in Derbyshire or in Ireland as in the above Chatsworth painting.

Love his Arbor Low pastel drawing - http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/Alastairw/05-11-200917-21-28_0001.jpg

Edited by Nagel

The gateway has been bricked up (or should that be stoned up) but the stone gatepost is still there. I believe it's the same cottage as in the painting. Yes, the artist has used licence unless the windows have had their heights increased.

Yep I've been past this morning and spotted the gatepost set into the wall as if there was once an opening there. The house's position on the bend is also spot on.

Yep I've been past this morning and spotted the gatepost set into the wall as if there was once an opening there. The house's position on the bend is also spot on.

I don't think so - in the painting the road bends sharp right just after the cottage. There would appear to be a substantial bank / slope upwards to the RHS of the road in the painting - and the chimney pot in the painting is in the wrong place.

I do seem to vaguely remember from my days working in payroll in the NHS (over 30 years ago) a hospital doctor having a house by that name or similar.

I still suspect it's out in the Mayfield Valley.

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 15:33 ----------

I've now talked with home (I'm away at the mo) and now I believe it's definitely the house on Brincliffe Edge Road :)

OH went over there to check it out, probably retracing Harry Epworth Allen's exact steps because we live very close to his old house.