Quick, mundane car insurance question.

A friend of mine has a car in his garage. He doesn't use it, he has no intention of using it. He say's I'm welcome to use it whenever I want. Is it possible to insure yourself on somebody else s car? He isn't insured himself so I can't simply be 'put on' his insurance. I forgot to ask whether it had any tax & MOT. Probably not.

A friend of mine has a car in his garage. He doesn't use it, he has no intention of using it. He say's I'm welcome to use it whenever I want. Is it possible to insure yourself on somebody else s car? He isn't insured himself so I can't simply be 'put on' his insurance. I forgot to ask whether it had any tax & MOT. Probably not.

Will he sell to you instead.

if you plan to only use it infrequently, it may be worth getting temporary cover when you need it. you will need to declare that you are not the registered owner/keeper, and probably give their details as well.

Why not just google car insurance and try getting a quote

If it's currently uninsured then it must be SORN'ed, so you'll need to tax it as well. You can insure a car that you are not the registered keeper of, but they do often ask what your relation to the registered keeper is. I'm not sure there's an option for 'a mate' !

Archived