Ceiling light won't turn off!

I have just fitted a new ceiling light.

On the terminal box for the new light there is the usual three - brown blue and earth.

From the ceiling there are four - red live, green yellow earth and two black - one I assume is the neutral and am not sure what the other black is.

I tried lots of combinations before I could get the light to come on. Having now got the light on it wont go off via switch on wall - I have read its something to do with having connected to permanent live but I don't know what this means and very simple explanation needed! Like I say I have red green/yellow and two black and I assumed red and brown being live went together and the green/yellow obviously go together.........frustrating.

Thanks

I have just fitted a new ceiling light.

On the terminal box for the new light there is the usual three - brown blue and earth.

From the ceiling there are four - red live, green yellow earth and two black - one I assume is the neutral and am not sure what the other black is.

I tried lots of combinations before I could get the light to come on. Having now got the light on it wont go off via switch on wall - I have read its something to do with having connected to permanent live but I don't know what this means and very simple explanation needed! Like I say I have red green/yellow and two black and I assumed red and brown being live went together and the green/yellow obviously go together.........frustrating.

Thanks

First off...I'm not an electrician but had a similar problem.

Have you tried conecting both blacks in the plastic connector with the blue?

REPEAT....I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN !

Also I assume you've switched the power off whilst doing this trial and error?:)

Yeah I turned the electric off. Yeah tried both blacks to the blue but no joy. Am going to try with one of the blacks in with red as I think the spare black I have is the switch (am guessing) so having looked at some photos the switch goes with the live wire. It's worth a try!

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 19:14 ----------

Yeah I turned the electric off. Yeah tried both blacks to the blue but no joy. Am going to try with one of the blacks in with red as I think the spare black I have is the switch (am guessing) so having looked at some photos the switch goes with the live wire. It's worth a try!

I am not trying again tonight as have now tried extra black with the red live but have seen on a site (like it says above) to put the two blacks together as neutral so I will have another go at this in the morning - it doesn't help that the cables are different lengths as makes it very hard to get the cables into the little gap.....any advice gratefully received. Ta

Archived