Buying a car with no tax, can you drive home?

Hi,

I'm hoping to go an see a car tonight with the intention of coming away with it, however we cant get there until tonight and the car is currently untaxed. I am aware you can drive a car to get it taxed/test etc but how does it stand driving it home from the purchase to tax in the morning?

Obviously they arent going to tax it on my behalf before agreeing to buy it and by then all POs will be shut.

I've tried to contact police to enquire the legalities in case I were to be stopped with no valid tax, but unfortunately I cannot get through to them. Need a car literally today, but if I cant get it home without risking my licence then it somewhat counts the car out, it's at bradford so not really just down the road :/

Any help appreciated from anyone who knows the facts, thank you

I think the only place you can drive with no tax is to a pre-booked MOT. . Have they got the reminder? If so you could do it online so long as it's MOT'd and insured,, the only downside is that the disc would go to the present keepers so it'd be a matter of trust for them to post the disc to you once they received it..

oh ****, thank you, sort of what I expected. Anyone know if it could be taxed online even from purchase how soon that would be effective from? If it's instant I mean or next working day (I know you have to wait for the disc but are allowed to drive until it comes, just need to know if it'd cover it straight away same night)

thanks

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 10:57 ----------

I think the only place you can drive with no tax is to a pre-booked MOT. . Have they got the reminder? If so you could do it online so long as it's MOT'd and insured,, the only downside is that the disc would go to the present keepers so it'd be a matter of trust for them to post the disc to you once they received it..

Hiya thanks this is just what I was thinking above ^ aghh this is turning into a bit of a headache :(

I'm not sure if it'd be instant, you'd certainly still get a tug from the police even if you did do it online.

Also if the car isn't insured then you can't tax it online (because the system checks)

I don't think you'd be able to take out insurance and instantly tax the car (I don't think the system is that quick)

You won't be able to tax it online straight away because the insurance cover probably won't be on the database DVLA use.

You'll most likely have to wait for a cover note and tax it at the post office.

the previous owner could tax it for them

Archived