Buying a car with no tax, can you drive home?

well i know of 4 people who have had their cars seized all for driving with no tax which had only expired a week prior and it cost them around 250 quid each to reclaim their cars out of compound

You can also have your vehicle seized if you’re stopped on suspicion of driving without insurance and for some other offences. It does not mention road tax.

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-while-driving-your-rights

https://www.gov.uk/stopped-by-police-while-driving-your-rights/when-the-police-can-seize-your-vehicle

well i know of 4 people who have had their cars seized all for driving with no tax which had only expired a week prior and it cost them around 250 quid each to reclaim their cars out of compound

Rubbish

They can't seize an untaxed vehicle until 28 clear days have elapsed since the date of liability

All they would have got is a £60 penalty from the police (after the 1st 5 days of the month following expiry) who would then sent notification to the DVLA.

Rubbish

They can't seize an untaxed vehicle until 28 clear days have elapsed since the date of liability

All they would have got is a £60 penalty from the police (after the 1st 5 days of the month following expiry) who would then sent notification to the DVLA.

Well that's what they told me when they told me their cars had been seized and I went with one guy to get his back from pound near meadowhall

I've often wondered about this if someone buys a car on a Sunday.

Many insurance companies are open on Sundays, and these days insurance companies also often email the documents to you for you to print, so no problem to tax a car if the Post Office is open.

Re being stopped for failure to display a valid tax disc. You are given 5 days grace if you buy the tax disc online to cover the time it takes for it to be delivered.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/pressoffice/pressreleases/archive2008/280808_09.aspx

It wont be legal I'm afraid with all the PNR cameras about its a big risk.

I bought a car from a dealer on Bramall Lane, used it for six months before the Tax people turned up to clamp it .

It turned out that the tax disc was a dodgy one but as I say I ran about for six months without knowing so how many camera's did I go through.

Hi,

I'm hoping to go an see a car tonight with the intention of coming away with it, however we cant get there until tonight and the car is currently untaxed. I am aware you can drive a car to get it taxed/test etc but how does it stand driving it home from the purchase to tax in the morning?

Obviously they arent going to tax it on my behalf before agreeing to buy it and by then all POs will be shut.

I've tried to contact police to enquire the legalities in case I were to be stopped with no valid tax, but unfortunately I cannot get through to them. Need a car literally today, but if I cant get it home without risking my licence then it somewhat counts the car out, it's at bradford so not really just down the road :/

Any help appreciated from anyone who knows the facts, thank you

Just put a "In the post" note where the disc should go.

Many insurance companies are open on Sundays, and these days insurance companies also often email the documents to you for you to print, so no problem to tax a car if the Post Office is open.

Getting insurance is no problem on a Sunday, but getting a tax disc from the post office, how many post offices do you know that are open on a Sunday?

The seller could tax it when the sale is agreed (at the buyer's cost of course).. could do it online..no need for the PO..

Maybe the seller could just tax it anyway - given the situation, sounds unlikely they are going to find a buyer for an untaxed car that cannot be driven home. Certainly for me that would be a show stopper and I'd just look for another similar car that was road legal.

Archived