Buying a car with no tax, can you drive home?

I think the only place you can drive with no tax is to a pre-booked MOT. . Have they got the reminder? If so you could do it online so long as it's MOT'd and insured,, the only downside is that the disc would go to the present keepers so it'd be a matter of trust for them to post the disc to you once they received it..

I thought this too. However, if your car isn't taxed (because you have no MOT certificate); once it passes it's MOT, it still has no tax. Do you need to leave it at the MOT testing station, go get it taxed, then come back and collect it? Or would you just risk it?

I guess if you have a mobile or iPad or something, you could buy road tax and insurance for it online, the very instant you get the MOT pass.

I thought this too. However, if your car isn't taxed (because you have no MOT certificate); once it passes it's MOT, it still has no tax. Do you need to leave it at the MOT testing station, go get it taxed, then come back and collect it? Or would you just risk it?

I guess if you have a mobile or iPad or something, you could buy road tax and insurance for it online, the very instant you get the MOT pass.

You can drive to and from a pre booked MOT without tax I think..(from meaning straight back home)

In theory yes because it will show as being taxed on 'the system' (not immediatly tho) but you can still get done for not displaying a tax disc.

I seem to remember there is a little lee-way but only for those people that apply for a disc online before the old one runs out - probably to protect them if the post office strikes or snow falls etc etc.

Thanks truman. :)

@terminator: I thought once you have bought the tax disc online, you're covered (i.e. even before it arrives in the post). Is that not correct?

Yes what geared says can still get fined for not displaying

Archived