IDS £39 Breakfast expenses rejected

breakfast is a meal and shouldnt be on expenses,your wages are what you should live on not expenses

Your breakfast at home will be considerably cheaper than what you ahve to pay in a hotel. That's the reason they go on expenses. Many hotels make a lot on the food they provide, which is used to keep the room costs down.

I've been trying to find out more about this claim but can't seem to see anything other than the Mirror's article, or ones using Mirror's information (sky News and Reddit). Can anyone find any other news sources?

How did the story get into the press ?

Good question. I've seen biased newspapers spin stories like this before - the selling of school playing fields is a good example, as is the woman who killed herself because of the bedroom tax (notice how that seems to have gone quiet now that people have started asking questions about the other factors or where her children while she was starving?) - so I like to see how other media sources play it.

Your breakfast at home will be considerably cheaper than what you ahve to pay in a hotel. That's the reason they go on expenses. Many hotels make a lot on the food they provide, which is used to keep the room costs down.

That's the reason people who are more careful with their spending often choose to seek breakfast outside of the hotel. As it's not his money though, I guess IDS doesn't mind.

I wonder what the some of the kids who are surviving on donations to foodbanks had for breakfast that same day....Britain's shame!

That's the reason people who are more careful with their spending often choose to seek breakfast outside of the hotel. As it's not his money though, I guess IDS doesn't mind.

I wonder what the some of the kids who are surviving on donations to foodbanks had for breakfast that same day....Britain's shame!

You're dead right, ids should have spent his time getting a minimum of 3 quotes for breakfast before getting any work done.

Or perhaps there is no where else convenient, or perhaps he doesnt want to waste any time. If I were to spend say 30 minutes finding a cheaper breakfast, saving perhaps £10 is that really a good use of my time when I'm contracting out consultancy to someone at four times that rate?

On the contrary! There is every reason to mention such double standards. The more people who encounter such issues and come to an awareness of the sleeze and dishonesty at the heart of UK politics the better.

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 20:13 ----------

People need to eat, and pay for shelter and essential services such as water and power.

Ordinary people like nurses, social workers, administration assistants, mechaics, bricklayers, shop staff, call centre workers, bus drivers or care assistants don't earn enought to accrue a large personal fortune, so we require a regular income if we are to meet our bills, pay our council tax, pay for our shopping. There is no mystery in this.

It's only a double standard if you make up a back story you have no evidence for. Even then he has a job so its still not a double standard.

or the £150,000 fiddle by Barnsley MP Eric Illsley??

But there's the difference. IDS actually stopped in a hotel and paid a bill for a £39 breakfast. He then submitted his expence claim which was rejected. That's how the system works.

In Eric Illsley's case he didn't spend any money. He wrote out receipts for money he hadn't spent and submitted them as an expences claim and did receive the money.

So there is the irony. Folks moaning about someone not getting paid out for a breakfast that he ate, but turning a blind eye to an MP who makes fraudeulent claims. I suppose Illsley is a fraudster but was one of theirs.

Or perhaps there is no where else convenient, or perhaps he doesnt want to waste any time. If I were to spend say 30 minutes finding a cheaper breakfast, saving perhaps £10 is that really a good use of my time when I'm contracting out consultancy to someone at four times that rate?

Perhaps that's something his 'secretary' could do?

One thing's for sure, he'll not be breakfasting there again, if he's got to pay for it.

---------- Post added 15-05-2013 at 18:25 ----------

But there's the difference. IDS actually stopped in a hotel and paid a bill for a £39 breakfast. He then submitted his expence claim which was rejected. That's how the system works.

In Eric Illsley's case he didn't spend any money. He wrote out receipts for money he hadn't spent and submitted them as an expences claim and did receive the money.

So there is the irony. Folks moaning about someone not getting paid out for a breakfast that he ate, but turning a blind eye to an MP who makes fraudeulent claims. I suppose Illsley is a fraudster but was one of theirs.

You obviously subscribe to the 'two wrongs make a right' theory. I'm afraid, I don't. Whenever our politicians behave in a scrounging, disgusting, greedy, hypocritical manner, no matter what their political persuasion, we have a right to comment.

Archived