IDS £39 Breakfast expenses rejected

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a breakfast as expensive as £39, not this morning, not last year, not in 1998, never.

Politicians enjoy the high life, and ordinary people foot the bill.

Hypocrisy, sleeze, call it what you will, it is wrong, and we ordinary folk need to be aware of what is happening so that we can make informed decisions about MPs and politics.

Well put, Staunton.

breakfast is a meal and shouldnt be on expenses,your wages are what you should live on not expenses

I know of plenty of people that put their meals down on their expenses. If you have to go away in your line of work it is the norm.

If you have to go away in your line of work it is the norm.
Or take clients out, in which case it is a marketing expense. And let's not talk about the kind of situations unexpected events can create (e.g. getting stranded overseas while on business, e.g. during 9/11 or the eruption of that icelandic volcano, for a week or more). Etc.

Seems plenty of posters are unfamiliar with (i) the standard system of business expenses and (ii) the type of places MPs/business types/etc. have to eat to "conduct business" (£39 for breakfast is loud-ish, but not overly so).

Try and suggest a working breakfast to (e.g.) Richard Branson at a local Travelodge, and see how far that gets you :rolleyes:

And yes, I did say working breakfast. Some people know how to make full use of their time ;)

Archived