IDS £39 Breakfast expenses rejected

I dont think the fact that he DIDNT get it is relevant. What is more relevant is that he EXPECTED to get it. Yet another money grabbing lazy sod on an overpaid gravy train

Wouldn't it be nice if they had to fill in a time sheet every day to justify their wages ,A typical day could read "get up go for breakfast/lunch/dinner go back to bed.Fill in expense forms".

That's the problem with MPs it's not their money they are spending so they don't care how much things cost, the taxpayer is funding a lifestyle most people could never afford. How many on here would consider paying £39 for a breakfast?

I've stayed away on business and submitted a breakfast receipt for a similar amount - you don't get much choice in some hotels.

I don't get what the story is?

I have to go to some very expensive cities on business - still I've never even come close to paying £39 for breakfast. I cannot see how this would happen, unless I stayed in a 5 star hotel (which is not appropriate on a business trip IMO).

I have to go to some very expensive cities on business - still I've never even come close to paying £39 for breakfast. I cannot see how this would happen, unless I stayed in a 5 star hotel (which is not appropriate on a business trip IMO).

We don't know whether it was just for IDS or for more than one person. breakfast meeting to do with government maybe..? The Mirror has failed to give any details..........

It all depends on the type of champagne you have on your cornflakes :hihi:

Very easily: coffees and miniatures for 4 people in Washington hotel (Fairfax at Embassy Row, central-ish, walkable to Walter E. Washington Convention Center (WCC)). Early May 2012, smack in the middle of "international convention season". >£50 IIRC.

Business expense, and beats flights and hotels to go visit the 3 guests individually in their respective countries (Poland, Brazil, Canada) hands-down ;)

If you think he does so many bad works then there is no need to mention such a non-story.

On the contrary! There is every reason to mention such double standards. The more people who encounter such issues and come to an awareness of the sleeze and dishonesty at the heart of UK politics the better.

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 20:13 ----------

And you'd do it for free would you?

People need to eat, and pay for shelter and essential services such as water and power.

Ordinary people like nurses, social workers, administration assistants, mechaics, bricklayers, shop staff, call centre workers, bus drivers or care assistants don't earn enought to accrue a large personal fortune, so we require a regular income if we are to meet our bills, pay our council tax, pay for our shopping. There is no mystery in this.

On the contrary! There is every reason to mention such double standards. The more people who encounter such issues and come to an awareness of the sleeze and dishonesty at the heart of UK politics the better.

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 20:13 ----------

People need to eat, and pay for shelter and essential services such as water and power.

Ordinary people like nurses, social workers, administration assistants, mechaics, bricklayers, shop staff, call centre workers, bus drivers or care assistants don't earn enought to accrue a large personal fortune, so we require a regular income if we are to meet our bills, pay our council tax, pay for our shopping. There is no mystery in this.

The accusation that I was responding to was that IDS, and all other MP's, are only in it for the money.

My response was that we all work for money.

What's wrong with that? Why should MP's be any different?

The accusation that I was responding to was that IDS, and all other MP's, are only in it for the money.

My response was that we all work for money.

What's wrong with that? Why should MP's be any different?

Mr Duncan Smith, Mr Cameron, Mr Osborne and their friends on the tory right are motivated by much more than parliamentary salaries and expenses.

Archived