Bedroom Tax megathread

Okay for further clarification, in the midst of a recession, only the tories would give the posh boys a tax cut.

Just on one more note, do you know how much demand has gone up for food parcels since the tories came into power. I believe it has more than trebled.

Yes, wonder why I can see what is plainly obvious.

Instead of concentrating on punishing the poor for being on benefits, we should all be campaigning for a living wage for everyone. If wages were increased there would be less need for tax credits. A big fraction of the welfare bill.

Was we under a recession under Labour, only near the end.

Were we driven to recession by Labour???

You're a flag waving Labour boy and thats your choice, but you can't even begin to make a decent case against the current government because you refuse to accept that the previous government were actually not very good.

Btw I'm not trying to make a case for the current government being a shining light of brilliance here, they're doing 'alrite' but could be doing better IMO.

You're a flag waving Labour boy and thats your choice, but you can't even begin to make a decent case against the current government because you refuse to accept that the previous government were actually not very good.

Btw I'm not trying to make a case for the current government being a shining light of brilliance here, they're doing 'alrite' but could be doing better IMO.

The previous government were not very good.

This government is not very good.

Oh for some decent politicians who know what they're doing and have the interests of the people they serve uppermost in their minds...

Oh for some decent politicians who know what they're doing and have the interests of the people they serve uppermost in their minds...

They'll come riding in on their unicorns to save us all.

Promptly followed by a group of flying pigs.

Okay for further clarification, in the midst of a recession, only the tories would give the posh boys a tax cut.

They didn't get a tax cut, can you not read? The top rate of income tax was 40% under Labour, they put it up to 50% 30 days before losing the election, knowing that if they lost, it would get reduced if it didn't work (giving them ammunition for people like you to have a go at whoever won). Had they won, they could have either kept it going if it worked (which it didn't raise what they expected) or reduce it to the same if it didn't work.

It also begs the question, that if during the early years things were so good under Labour and the country was so prosperous (which it was) - then why didn't they raise the tax rate earlier to raise some money during the good times? My Grandma taught me that when I was about 4 years old, it's not rocket science.

Just on one more note, do you know how much demand has gone up for food parcels since the tories came into power. I believe it has more than trebled.

Yes, wonder why I can see what is plainly obvious.

You sure you're not getting your information from the rag newspapers? The same as the people you were slagging off earlier?

The Tories aren't in power, it's a coalition.

Perhaps because the last government did not allow food banks to be advertised in job centres, so they got less use. The coalition altered that so they could be advertised. When things get advertised, they get used more - that's what advertising does.

Instead of concentrating on punishing the poor for being on benefits, we should all be campaigning for a living wage for everyone. If wages were increased there would be less need for tax credits. A big fraction of the welfare bill.

If wages were increased to £10 (which seems to be the figure for this new found term) there would be more equal to/ or more unemployment.

The global recession started off in America, labour were not to blame but what they were to blame for was not having a rainy day stash because like most people they didn't see the financial crisis coming.

Perhaps because the last government did not allow food banks to be advertised in job centres, so they got less use. The coalition altered that so they could be advertised. When things get advertised, they get used more - that's what advertising does.

I think you have a really valid point about food banks, also the more they are used, the more people get to know via word of mouth. I'd hope that with such a captive audience, the people running the foodbanks have budgeting and benefits advisors who can help their users to better manage what little money they have.

The global recession started off in America, labour were not to blame but what they were to blame for was not having a rainy day stash because like most people they didn't see the financial crisis coming.

You could argue that Labours inability to 'reign in the banks' was what helped us on the way to recession, yes it did start in America but we followed along quite well as we made similar mistakes.

You could also argue we had abit of a rainy day fund (gold) but that was sold off by Brown, who IIRC he or his close friends actually made a good chunk of change from that deal.

Not having a rainy day fund is foolish, selling off what we do have to make a quick buck is just complete stupidity.

I think you have a really valid point about food banks, also the more they are used, the more people get to know via word of mouth. I'd hope that with such a captive audience, the people running the foodbanks have budgeting and benefits advisors who can help their users to better manage what little money they have.

Don't people have to be referred to these food banks, by doctors or social workers or the like? I was under the impression that you couldn't just walk in off the street.

As for not being able to see the crisis coming mafya, they were warned about it years ahead of it happening and chose to ignore it, as did the Americans and everyone else who could have done something about it. The crash was inevitable, and many respected and reliable economists warned them it would happen. The internet was rife with it.

And it's not over, nothing has really changed and it's about to get a whole lot worse. Sorry but it's true. Our whole way of life is unsustainable under the present system.

Archived