Bedroom Tax megathread

My friend was told by Leeds council if she didn't fill/sell her vacant property than they would do it for her.

Can the council really do that to private owners? I could understand it if the building was so bad it needed to be demolished.

Can the council really do that to private owners? I could understand it if the building was so bad it needed to be demolished.

Wasn't there supposed to have been a law passed a while ago, that said properties that were empty for more than six months could be bought/used/rented/aquired by the council or government?

What happened to that?

Wasn't there supposed to have been a law passed a while ago, that said properties that were empty for more than six months could be bought/used/rented/aquired by the council or government?

What happened to that?

It's the Empty Dwelling legislation.

See the Housing Act 2004 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/34/part/4/chapter/2 and various Statutory Instruments made under it.

I'm all for it in theory, however.....

It's another idea that seems good on paper, but isn't great in reality.

If there were plenty of small vacant properties for people to go to then it'd be simple, but I doubt there's a single council in the country with enough (any) spare property on it's books to help shift people around.

I'm all for it in theory, however.....

It's another idea that seems good on paper, but isn't great in reality.

If there were plenty of small vacant properties for people to go to then it'd be simple, but I doubt there's a single council in the country with enough (any) spare property on it's books to help shift people around.

There are 44 one bedroomed properties advertised this week here: http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/thisweekprop.asp?ID=705AF6F824AE49A5BCFAC0064B1EC573

19 have no age restrictions, some are for over 40s, and some for over 60s. Anyone in social housing in Sheffield whose benefits have been cut because their household size is classed as too small for their current home qualifies for priority to downsize.

There are 44 one bedroomed properties advertised this week here: http://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/thisweekprop.asp?ID=705AF6F824AE49A5BCFAC0064B1EC573

19 have no age restrictions, some are for over 40s, and some for over 60s. Anyone in social housing in Sheffield whose benefits have been cut because their household size is classed as too small for their current home qualifies for priority to downsize.

That's as may be, but (and this is a BIG BUT) People don't always want to move away from their friend/family base, especially people who can't afford to travel.

Imagine being reliant on public transport and moved from (say) Chapeltown to Walkley, That has to be at least a £3.60 per day cost if you have an infirm relative who needs your help/assistance for their daily routine.

It would be cheper to pay the suppliment in the long run I think.

That's as may be, but (and this is a BIG BUT) People don't always want to move away from their friend/family base, especially people who can't afford to travel.

Imagine being reliant on public transport and moved from (say) Chapeltown to Walkley, That has to be at least a £3.60 per day cost if you have an infirm relative who needs your help/assistance for their daily routine.

It would be cheper to pay the suppliment in the long run I think.

If someone has an infirm relative who depends mainly on them for the kind of assistance you mention, then its likely they could get priority for housing in the same area. It would certainly be worth enquiring about.

Chapter 17 on page 41 of the lettings policy gives quite clear information about support: http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/myHome/MovingHome/FindANewHome.aspx

Archived