Bedroom Tax megathread

How do you mean offered? I rent privately?

Do you claim housing benefit to pay for the rent?

If not, then what house you live in is entirely up to you.

If you do claim HB, then it will be capped at the amount required for the pair of you (ie a single room), and any rent above that amount you will have to pay for yourselves. HB for private rents has been capped for a long time, the 'bedroom tax' reduction in HB for spare rooms has no impact on people renting privately (whether they claim HB or not).

Wasn't there supposed to have been a law passed a while ago, that said properties that were empty for more than six months could be bought/used/rented/aquired by the council or government?

What happened to that?

Sounds like a good law to me, though it should 3 months; people shouldn't be allowed to own more than one home, its very anti-social.

I rent privately yeah with no HB, thanks for the help :)

I was talking to a woman at work today and she said in Rotherham the council actually went round ex council and current property's to check the ratio of rooms to people?!

No, ex council houses are none of the councils business, and they would have no need to visit a current council house, they know who is living there and how many bedrooms it has.

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 22:50 ----------

Do you claim Housing Benefit? If not then you won't be affected..

Even if he did claim HB he still wouldn't be affected, the recent changes were nothing to do with HB for people living in private rented property, they only affected council properties.

how to get Sheffield council to stand up and realise people aren't going to roll over. Anyone who is a council tenant, should asap, ask for a water meter to be installed. The council makes on average 75p a week on this agreement. Doesn't sound a lot, but then there's 43,000 council properties, and it works out at £1.5 million a year for collecting your water rates on behalf of Yorkshire, and severn trent water. How do they collect it? We pay it, they don't come and get it. Let us tell the council if they don't give some assurances on bedroom tax. Fight back, protest doesn't work, but financial pressure may well do. Also if you pay water direct to water authority, your rent arrears, will not go up as fast.

Even if he did claim HB he still wouldn't be affected, the recent changes were nothing to do with HB for people living in private rented property, they only affected council properties.

Wrong. Read post 223.

Those in Private Rented Accommodation have been restricted to the equivalent of 'The Bedroom Tax' for years if in receipt of H. Benefit.

It's only this year that Council Tenants have been brought into line with private tenants re. The number of bedrooms, housing benefit will pay for.

You've just told me that I'm wrong whilst repeating the information that makes me right!

If he was claiming HB in private accommodation the recent change (AKA bedroom tax) would have NO EFFECT on him, because for years it has been capped.

You have to read all the words in order to understand what has been said.

Archived