Bedroom Tax megathread

Those 59% can put their hands in their own pockets and pay for it.

Pay for what?

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 01:04 ----------

It doesn't work by the people who pay little and get the most voting for freebies to be paid for by the people who pay the most and get the least. Any country that runs like that will soon find itself utterly skint.

Best start weaning private landlords off their dependence on housing benefits then.

well,

a)153.80 doubled still doesn't add up to £312. (And didn't even do so back when I was at school)

b) the £71.70 you quote is the more likely sum claimants receive.

c) £19,000 per annum is, again, not £312 per week. (rough calculation:- 190/ 52 =365.38461) so your figures are "think of a number" yet again.

A) Yes of course it doesn't but since the April increases ESA inc IB & IS is now £312 every 2 weeks for most disability claimants.

B) The majority of those claiming whom have been diagnosed officially severely disabled (ie those whom have been sectioned or have limbs missing) do receive £71.70 per week along other weekly benefits incorporated such as IS and IB, now under ESA umbrella which is paid at £312 per fortnight along with the most common DLA Middle and lower care component which is £292 every 4 weeks.

C) When including the average HB & CT claim along with the above this is easily equivalent of earning £19,000+ per annum.

Non -essentials? You mean like food and heat?

Much of the food some people eat is non essential and cutting it out of your diet would be good for your health, and having the central heating on is bad for your health so turning it down isn't a bad thing.

But I was thinking more about the other non essentials that people spend money on.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 07:41 ----------

This evening Labour has pledged to abolish the tax.

Since bedroom tax doesn't exist it would be hard to abolish.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 07:45 ----------

59% of the public now believe the tax should be abolished. ComRes poll just published.

Do you think its fare that a single person lives in a free 3 bedroom house whilst a couple with two children have to live a a two bedroom house. Any policy that reverses this anomaly must be a good policy.

Much of the food some people eat is non essential and cutting it out of your diet would be good for your health, and having the central heating on is bad for your health so turning it down isn't a bad thing.

But I was thinking more about the other non essentials that people spend money on.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 07:41 ----------

Since bedroom tax doesn't exist it would be hard to abolish.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 07:45 ----------

Do you think its fare that a single person lives in a free 3 bedroom house whilst a couple with two children have to live a a two bedroom house. Any policy that reverses this anomaly must be a good policy.

Of course it exists.

What I think is we have a housing crisis. This policy can't reverse that. It can't magic up properties that don't exist. I'm not against the use of a policy like this for new rentals if increased house building happened as well. It's the retrospective application of it to existing rentals that is causing issues.

Of course it exists.

There is no such thing as bedroom tax, its just media hype.

I am happy to be proven wrong if you would like to post a link to HMRC describing what bedroom tax is and how it is collected.

---------- Post added 21-09-2013 at 15:31 ----------

Of course it exists.

What I think is we have a housing crisis. This policy can't reverse that. It can't magic up properties that don't exist. I'm not against the use of a policy like this for new rentals if increased house building happened as well. It's the retrospective application of it to existing rentals that is causing issues.

The properties do exist.

There are couples with children living in small private sector rented housing.

And there are people living in free council houses that are too big.

The sensible solution is to swap them over.

Can you give me just one good reason why someone should live in a free state owned house with more rooms than they need, whilst someone else as to live in an house that is to small for their family.

I am happy to be proven wrong if you would like to post a link to HMRC describing what bedroom tax is and how it is collected.

The properties do exist.

Can you give me just one good reason why someone should live in a free state owned house with more rooms than they need, whilst someone else as to live in an house that is to small for their family.

there is also people who this bedroom tax dosent apply to but cant swap like for like because they are a couple. so its also affecting people what can pay their way in not having a suitable house

The properties do exist.

It is a tax in the sense that it is a specific enforced payment based in law and not paid voluntarily.

http://thelawdictionary.org/tax/

In some cases swaps may be possible but nowhere near on the scale required to fully realign provision. In fact there were already successful schemes in place for tenants to swap.

Archived