Bedroom Tax megathread

You are wrong. The legislation covers only bedrooms. So you will not be considered as having too many rooms if you have a separate kitchen and dinner.

Did you deliberately lie to make your point or is this a genuine mistake. It's just that you started a thread with hundreds of replies and yet you still appear to have next to no knowledge about the topic.

Why don't you read what I've read instead of pointlessly jumping in trying to appear as if you have knowledge of the subject.

Just where did I mention bedroom tax or legislation for council tenants?

Why don't you read what I've read instead of pointlessly jumping in trying to appear as if you have knowledge of the subject.

Just where did I mention bedroom tax or legislation for council tenants?

Oh dear. I will just get back into my box. Make sure the lid is closed properly please.

Just seen the news on TV tonight. Call me Dave is going to scotland tomorrow Because the YES vote has overtaken the better together campaign.

Some Scottish people have lost their homes due to bedroom tax etc. did him no favours. Maybe having 14 holidays when people have no home was not so smart.

But if you rent privately and apply for housing benefit, you will be told if you have too many ROOMS for your needs, not just bedrooms!

A separate dining room and a kitchen are two separate rooms, so too many!

You can have one or the other, not both for housing benefit purposes.

You will be told to eat your meals in your living room/lounge/study.

You can't have a kitchen & dining room and a living room.

How many council tenants have a separate kitchen and a dining room and a living room?

So are you claiming that HB is not paid if you happen to rent a house that has a dining room?

No. Anyone can claim housing benefit for rented accomodation. The amount you get is dependant on your circumstances etc.

So will having a dining room affect it in anyway?

Will this happen?

But if you rent privately and apply for housing benefit, you will be told if you have too many ROOMS for your needs, not just bedrooms!

A separate dining room and a kitchen are two separate rooms, so too many!

You can have one or the other, not both for housing benefit purposes.

You will be told to eat your meals in your living room/lounge/study.

You can't have a kitchen & dining room and a living room.

And once told will there be a material change to your benefit?

So will having a dining room affect it in anyway?

Will this happen?

And once told will there be a material change to your benefit?

Yes, to both questions, re. Housing benefit only.

However, many LA's have their own interpretation on many different issues.

An example is the definition of an HMO. Manchester Council state if you have a lock on your bedsit room door, it's classed as an HMO! It's crazy but that's what they told me, despite the rent a room in a house rule.

Found this out.

Basically if you get middle or top rate dla, and a person stays at your house at least once a week, as long as they don't live with you, and the said person helps with your care when they are there, you are allowed an extra bedroom.

Sheffield City council has no form for this, but here's one from Warrington council anyway. I'd fill it in and take it to our council.

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/downloads/file/3727/under_occupancy_overnight_carer_form

Archived