Here's one for the religious..

Why would I choose the question to you, why not?

A lack of faith is a rebellion against control, what's that meant to mean?

Snailyboy, are you rebelling against non-evident things again. Tut Tut. :)

I see faith schools, I see bishops in the House of Lords, I see priests abusing their power, I see cruel religious slaughter, I see godly people criticising sex-education and contraception, I see fanatics strapping explosives to their bodies and killing randomly, I see the genital mutilation of children, I see godly men saying women should be subservient, I see people trying to subvert science education. When I see people do these things in the name of their god I am forced to consider their god, even though I don't think for a moment that it might exist.

Do you ever see religious people ever do anything good or is that something you would prefer to be silent about for some reason?

Do you ever see religious people ever do anything good or is that something you would prefer to be silent about for some reason?

I see people from all walks of life doing good and bad. But there does seem to be a great many people of faith - even the ones who do good - doing an awful lot of the bad that quisquose mentioned.

You might find it hard to believe but I actually like Richard Dawkins, so much so that I actually spent over an hour watching him debate with John Lennox.

You are right, I do find that incredibly difficult to believe. I'm sorry but I'd have to agree with Rydeo on this one, you did yourself no favours at all with your comments earlier.

As for a rebellion over lack of control no. My lack of faith is a rebellion against nothing but it is a wholehearted rejection of irrationality.

I see people from all walks of life doing good and bad. But there does seem to be a great many people of faith - even the ones who do good - doing an awful lot of the bad that quisquose mentioned.

Or perhaps you see only the bad and shut your eyes to the good, then you can only see what you want to see?

I see bad too and have never denied it, but I am aware of the overrriding good that the media doesn't feel is necessary to report.

---------- Post added 17-05-2013 at 01:11 ----------

You are right, I do find that incredibly difficult to believe. I'm sorry but I'd have to agree with Rydeo on this one, you did yourself no favours at all with your comments earlier.

As for a rebellion over lack of control no. My lack of faith is a rebellion against nothing but it is a wholehearted rejection of irrationality.

Having communicated with you before I wouldn't expect you to agree with anyone who isn't an atheist.

I didn't expect you to believe me, you have already accused me of having disdain towards atheists on another thread.

My comments earlier were not expressed to gain favour.

Or perhaps you see only the bad and shut your eyes to the good, then you can only see what you want to see?

I see bad too and have never denied it, but I am aware of the overrriding good that the media doesn't feel is necessary to report.

---------- Post added 17-05-2013 at 01:11 ----------

Having communicated with you before I wouldn't expect you to agree with anyone who isn't an atheist.

That's possibly as a result of your prejudices, which I pity you for.

I didn't expect you to believe me, you have already accused me of having disdain towards atheists on another thread.

Perhaps because you have abundantly expressed that opinion. If you want to change that perception it's up to you to do so. The comments that you made earlier about Dawkins certainly won't help you however.

As I've stated: I see people doing good and bad from all walks of life. What I don't see - and I'm not saying it doesn't exist at some small level - is those with no faith in a god doing what quisquose mentioned.

In fact, where are the atheist hate groups who advocate that women should be subservient to men while denying women autonomy over their own bodies - that gays should be denied rights - or that pseudo-science and other quackery should be taught instead of science. Where are the atheist hate groups that are rioting in the streets demanding the execution of theist bloggers?

Sorry Janie, but I'm not seeing them. What I do see is sensible and more rational people - including people of faith - condemning what quisquose mentioned.

That's possibly as a result of your prejudices, which I pity you for.

Perhaps because you have abundantly expressed that opinion. If you want to change that perception it's up to you to do so. The comments that you made earlier about Dawkins certainly won't help you however.

Are you another Dawkins disciple?

I will repeat what I've said before, a great many atheists do not favour the rhetoric Richard Dawkins uses to express his contempt of religion in his attempt to spread atheism, and neither do I.

Read what the atheist Douglas Murray has to say about Dawkins

.http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8839081/call-off-the-faith-wars/

Are you another Dawkins disciple?

I will repeat what I've said before, a great many atheists do not favour the rhetoric Richard Dawkins uses to express his contempt of religion in his attempt to spread atheism, and neither do I.

Read what the atheist Douglas Murray has to say about Dawkins

.http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8839081/call-off-the-faith-wars/

And see, you are off again attempting to use Dawkins as a club because you personally appear to have problems with him.

Archived