Here's one for the religious..

That's always been my position and that of the people of faith I know.
Some of the 'people of faith' that I have met have wanted to ram their belief system down my throat rather than try to prove anything scientifically or otherwise.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 21:36 ----------

On the contrary it's quite possible to be a scientist and have a faith in God as many scientists do.
A true scientist does not believe that which cannot be proven. Thus, a true scientist might be agnostic, but can never have a faith in a god.

On the other hand, a true scientist can be atheist because there is nothing other than the imagination of some individuals to suggest the existence of a god, and therefore, there is no reason to pursue such a line of investigation or hold such a belief.

It is possible to be VERY scientific in specific endeavours, and these are the people to whom I think you might be referring, but if such a person has a faith in a god, they CANNOT be a true scientist.

Some of the 'people of faith' that I have met have wanted to ram their belief system down my throat rather than try to prove anything scientifically or otherwise.

A true scientist does not believe that which cannot be proven. Thus, a true scientist might be agnostic, but can never have a faith in a god.

On the other hand, a true scientist can be atheist because there is nothing other than the imagination of some individuals to suggest the existence of a god, and therefore, there is no reason to pursue such a line of investigation or hold such a belief.

It is possible to be VERY scientific in specific endeavours, and these are the people to whom I think you might be referring, but if such a person has a faith in a god, they CANNOT be a true scientist.

What about Christian Scientist's:huh::huh::suspect::gag::P

Utter rubbish.

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 22:08 ----------

What about Christian Scientist's:huh::huh::suspect::gag::P

They believe in God but they aren't scientists.

Maybe if you didn't take the Bible literally you could believe in both evolution and God?

The question is, if some Christians don't accept the literal truth of Genesis (which I think you're alluding to), which other accounts in the Bible can they take literally?

I think we are all of us religious - in that we each seem to hope for a better world.

Only if you redefine "religion" as "hoping for a better world"

Some of us have faith in God, others in the market, or the NHS.

Having faith in the NHS is a far cry from being religious

Yet others are swayed by advertising, and are guided to the belief that iphones and Mercedes Benz can deliver happiness.

and there are many who none of the above applies to

All endeavour that genuinely seeks to improve life must be respected, and those enterprises that cause harm must be understood and resisted.
okay

The universe is, and there is no ultimate explanation for that. So, if you want to say that God is the answer to the question 'Why the universe?', then that is perfectly acceptable.
not to everyone, and vice versa, many religious find it unacceptable for people to say that God isn't the answer

If you wish to present science as the answer, then there is a long way to go, and mystery seems to beget further mystery in the research laboratory as in the Mosque or the Church.
how mysterious :suspect:

If you believe that Love is the answer, you might be right. But beware, there will be those who would nail you to a cross for saying such a radical thing.

Not as radical as saying that "religion" is the same as hoping for a better world

---------- Post added 13-05-2013 at 23:21 ----------

Er... No. If no one posts, maybe it's because they have 100% faith, so don't feel any need to use science to suppoprt their view.

You're missing the point, there ARE several theistic posters on SF who often claim to have proof of this and that but always duck and dive when asked to deliver the goods

[/color]A true scientist does not believe that which cannot be proven. Thus, a true scientist might be agnostic, but can never have a faith in a god.

What a bizarre claim. It would be interesting to see you attempt to back that up.

Many historical, current, and eminent, scientists do have a faith in God.

I think it's pretty clear what a 'scientist' is- your term 'true scientist' seems somewhat contrived.

It has always confused me when people have tried to prove the existence of god, I thought that as it was a faith believing was enough.

Kind of funny how that attitude didn't really exist and certainly wasn't popular until after scientists proved the earth revolved around the sun, is a lot older than 6000 years, and that humanity, and all the other life forms we see around us evolved through natural processes, why earthquakes happen and other natural disasters, why people get sick etc.

Religious people have interpreted all sorts of things as proof of god throughout the centuries, as science gradually began to explain them, the god of the gaps was born as the religious retreated to murkier areas of human knowledge, now they've just given up.

And now over the past couple of centuries they've managed to convince the world that blind faith is a virtue!

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 01:27 ----------

[/color]A true scientist does not believe that which cannot be proven. Thus, a true scientist might be agnostic, but can never have a faith in a god.

Scientists don't have to do science all the time in every aspect of their lives.

They don't all run blind taste tests with every single cereal to find out which one they should eat in the morning.

It's a job, as long as they leave god out of the lab it's not a problem.

EDIT: In fact, even then its not a problem, as long as they make falsifiable hypotheses and accept when they're falsified.

one problem with religion,mainly Christianity,is that it hasn't been updated for over 1000 years.some of its scriptures are now known to be untrue,while others do seem to coincide with natural events which happened around the world.

the main problem is that these untrue's are still taught in all schools throughout the world:loopy:

one problem with religion,mainly Christianity,is that it hasn't been updated for over 1000 years.some of its scriptures are now known to be untrue,while others do seem to coincide with natural events which happened around the world.

the main problem is that these untrue's are still taught in all schools throughout the world:loopy:

How do you mean?

Archived