Here's one for the religious..

It's an interesting theory and I liked the logic in the 2nd and 3rd sections, but you need to find evidence to back up this theory- evidence that conspiracy theories have existed throughout recorded history and evidence that it comes from the same genetic mechanism as religion before we can really consider your theory.

Well, I think it's a good idea to look into the research on the amygdala and the evolution of paranoia, anxiety, fear and why people form conspiracy theories and why they appeal to people. What we are both talking about is all related (the amygdala does after all stimulate the frontal and pre-frontal areas of the brain) - and it doesn't solely result in a TLE religious hallucination, but it's also known to result in alien abduction hallucination.

How a TLE hallucination gets interpreted greatly depends on the person suffering the TLE. It depends on their point of reference - this could be god/religion or other cultural fashions like aliens and new age woo-woo.

So I'm not saying you are wrong with TLE - but I think you are being a little too linear in your thinking.

Conspiracy theories - and ways to counter the anxiety, fear and paranoia - develop around the point of reference. As for history, well I think there is an abundance of doomsday cults/religion with stories where their imagined gods punish people with earthquakes, famines, disease - or where the gods conspire to destroy mankind. And there is obvious evidence in religion where people try to counter those imagined threats.

Well, I think it's a good idea to look into the research on the amygdala and the evolution of paranoia, anxiety, fear and why people form conspiracy theories and why they appeal to people. What we are both talking about is all related (the amygdala does after all stimulate the frontal and pre-frontal areas of the brain) - and it doesn't solely result in a TLE religious hallucination, but it's also known to result in alien abduction hallucination.

How a TLE hallucination gets interpreted greatly depends on the person suffering the TLE. It depends on their point of reference - this could be god/religion or other cultural fashions like aliens and new age woo-woo.

So I'm not saying you are wrong with TLE - but I think you are being a little too linear in your thinking.

Conspiracy theories - and ways to counter the anxiety, fear and paranoia - develop around the point of reference. As for history, well I think there is an abundance of doomsday cults/religion with stories where their imagined gods punish people with earthquakes, famines, disease - or where the gods conspire to destroy mankind. And there is obvious evidence in religion where people try to counter those imagined threats.

I think a classic example of a strong schizotypal personality would be David Icke- he suggests that the ruling elites are lizards (classic paranormal idea), he's charismatic, he knows when to talk about his conspiracy theory (on camera, in front of an audience) but also seems to know when not to and this thinking has given him the advantage of a large number of followers who pay to hear him talk, thus providing him with a means of making a living. He may be ridiculed by wider society, but if he's schizotypal, he'll be fairly unsociable anyway so he probably wouldn't care too much. He'll feel as though he's been given special information that the rest of us don't have access to. Sadly his followers have developed an irritating habit of running around calling people 'sheeple'.

Having said that, I don't think all conspiracy theories should be dismissed. It's a rational principle to question authority (especially when they're in the throws of removing your freedoms) and it's fine to provide a conspiracy theory as long as you're looking for actual evidence to back it up and are willing to put it aside if the evidence doesn't present itself. Occasionally they do prove true (see the list below) and whilst this may only exacerbate any social problems conspiracy theorists cause, it is also invaluable to our knowledge of history.

http://listverse.com/2013/05/02/10-nefarious-conspiracies-proven-true/

You can decide for yourself whether you agree with the list or not.

You may have realised by now that I have a highly curious mind, I like to try to get to the truth of things and I like to investigate conspiracy theories to see which parts are based in fact and which are based in pure fiction. It can be an interesting project at times. I certainly appreciate whistleblowers, the ones with actual access to the facts who come out occasionally and blow the lid off things.

Can you answer a simple question?

After waiting 14 billion years to send "Jesus" why wouldn`t a god wait just a tiny tiny bit longer whilst the video camera was invented?

After all he must have known it was going to be invented because he is god.

Or was god just thick.

---------- Post added 27-05-2013 at 13:33 ----------

I`m not sure it is extreme.

If your daughter came home and said "dad i`m pregnant but it must be gods because i`ve never had sex" would you

A) Tell her she is an utter liar and find out who the father is.

B) Immediately start a cult for the simple minded saying the son of god has arrived and make lots of stories up that can never be proved.

I wonder how the CSA would take that story in the present.

what are the stories that cannot be proved. Dont you believe in that people have dug things up from the past that prove our history you belittle people who have spent many

years researching even giving up their lives to disprove the religious lies that the established

churches spew out in order to keep a hold on their stipend they dont believe the bible these people or there leaders wouldnt be allowed to sexually abuse children, be homosexuals who dress up in long robes and demand they be saluted by the masses

these people have no idea what the bible realy teaches they make huge amounts of money out of the tradgedies that all people suffer and sad to say the masses fall for it.

The bible can be proved the english museum holds many objects that the bible talks about

the diggers have unearthed many things that are mentioned in scripture pontious pilate the museum have a stone with his name on it they also have a stone with God,s name on

it a name for some reason people shun it. enough fo now

what are the stories that cannot be proved. Dont you believe in that people have dug things up from the past that prove our history you belittle people who have spent many

years researching even giving up their lives to disprove the religious lies that the established

churches spew out in order to keep a hold on their stipend they dont believe the bible these people or there leaders wouldnt be allowed to sexually abuse children, be homosexuals who dress up in long robes and demand they be saluted by the masses

these people have no idea what the bible realy teaches they make huge amounts of money out of the tradgedies that all people suffer and sad to say the masses fall for it.

The bible can be proved the english museum holds many objects that the bible talks about

the diggers have unearthed many things that are mentioned in scripture pontious pilate the museum have a stone with his name on it they also have a stone with God,s name on

it a name for some reason people shun it. enough fo now

You seem to have forgotten to answer my response to you in this post.

How about addressing the points I have raised their regarding your proof?

Well I may not know as much as you do Obelix but as much as you know I've yet to read anything from you disproving the God I believe in, and if you can point me to a scientist that can, I'll eat my words.

Hi Janie. Long time no 'see'. I hope you're well.

Which god do you believe in, please? (No point in me wasting time disproving the wrong one!)

Hi Janie. Long time no 'see'. I hope you're well.

Which god do you believe in, please? (No point in me wasting time disproving the wrong one!)

Don't get me started.:rant:

I was very well indeed, till I noticed you were back on the Dawkins campaign again.:mad:

Don't get me started.:rant:

I was very well indeed, till I noticed you were back on the Dawkins campaign again.:mad:

:hihi:

Okay. I'll have to guess. Is it Zeus?

---------- Post added 01-06-2013 at 20:19 ----------

Can you answer a simple question?

After waiting 14 billion years to send "Jesus" why wouldn`t a god wait just a tiny tiny bit longer whilst the video camera was invented?

After all he must have known it was going to be invented because he is god.

Or was god just thick.

Along the same lines...

http://omg.wthax.org/10574.jpg

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived