TV Aerial Queries

Hello, I am going to be doing some work on my brothers aerial for his new house on the weekend and would like some advice on parts.

He has an aerial coming down his outside wall joined together via 2 coax plugs that are filthy and rusty and not weatherproof meaning there will be water inside the wires, with the joined bit going inside his room.

I would like to put a fresh cut on the wire so it goes in to a box on the outside wall with output terminals so I can run one wire to his lounge and the other output to his bedroom.

Now my only local source is Maplin so am wondering what are the best split boxes for use on outside walls?

Also about installing coax plugs, when you cut down the ends so the copper is exposed and the plastic inner core is showing with the braids covering it, I know you are supposed to wrap the braids away from the copper contact but can you just get away by cutting all the braids off or do they have to be in contact with the metal vice grip that goes under the screw end on the wire side?

If you mean Maplin at Hillsborough don't go there go about 4 doors down to ATV and you will get a much better deal and they know what they are talking about.

Re the coaxial plugs, yes the braiding must make contact with the plug body, if you strip the outer insulation back about 12mm then you can fold the braid back over the outer insulation and it will then make good contact when you tighten the plug together.

You have to take into account that when you split the cable into two rooms you are at least halving the signal (regardless of how many tvs are switched on) and if the signal is not strong enough you could cause problems with reception.

If the plugs you use dont grip the central core with a little screw, put a slight kink in the central core wire of the coax, this will make sure it makes good contact inside the plug when you assemble it.

I'd look into using f plugs and a lab gear no loss splitter. While you're up there you might want to change the cable for something decent like WF100. Get a box that contains the splitter and connections rather than having terminals sticking out, that's my advice :)

I'd look into using f plugs and a lab gear no loss splitter. While you're up there you might want to change the cable for something decent like WF100. Get a box that contains the splitter and connections rather than having terminals sticking out, that's my advice :)

I think you mean low loss if there was such a thing as a no loss splitter then there would be no call for distribution amplifiers, you would be able to run whole streets from one aerial

Well I live at S12 so will not be going to Hillsborough area.

I will see what I can get from Maplin and from my end, are there any antenna places around S12.

Would of thought a few companies would be replying vying for trade.

So do the braids touch the copper connector then or the screw in bit that screws over the grip?

Archived