After some hysterectomy advice

after years of pain a gyno has now finally put a possible name to whats causing it she said adneyomyosis sorry cant spell it, she says its really hard to diagnose but if it is that i need a hystarectomy:love:.

im just wondering if anyone has any experience of this condition and can give me some kind of timescale as to how long it will take.

thanks

Adenomyosis, is where you get the glandular (adeno) cells that usually line the womb in the muscle (myo) wall of the womb. It's almost like a cross between endometriosis and fibroids, fibroids tend to be more like individual 'lumps', adenomyomas are more diffuse (imagine a fibroid as a golf ball and adenomyoma more like a bunch of grapes) This make the womb bigger & bulkier potentially making periods heavier and more painful. Recovery from a hysterectomy depends on the route of the operation. Open surgery about 3 months to get back to normal, laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery or vaginal hysterectomy 6-8 weeks. Waiting list depends on the surgeon, but shouldn't be more than 3-4 months

If it is open surgery I reckon you will be looking at 3 months off work.

I had smaller open surgery in that area and was off for 8 weeks, earlier this year, it was meant to be keyhole but more stuff had to be taken then expected and so it turned into open so they could save other bits.

Just make sure someone is at home the first few days and someone to take you home then make sure you don't lift anything heavier than a full kettle for the first two weeks and then take it easy. The thing that shocked me is that you cannot drive for quite a few weeks (think it was about 6 weeks) so that becomes quite annoying when you are feeling better but not well enough to walk massive distances! I tried to walk as much as possible once I felt well enough to do so.

Make sure you have some stuff that helps you go to the toliet when you get home as the painkillers bung you up and you have a sore stomach, so not a good mixture. Good luck I'm sure you will feel better for it in the long run.

Adenomyosis, is where you get the glandular (adeno) cells that usually line the womb in the muscle (myo) wall of the womb. It's almost like a cross between endometriosis and fibroids, fibroids tend to be more like individual 'lumps', adenomyomas are more diffuse (imagine a fibroid as a golf ball and adenomyoma more like a bunch of grapes) This make the womb bigger & bulkier potentially making periods heavier and more painful. Recovery from a hysterectomy depends on the route of the operation. Open surgery about 3 months to get back to normal, laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery or vaginal hysterectomy 6-8 weeks. Waiting list depends on the surgeon, but shouldn't be more than 3-4 months

i may have got the name wrong but im sure thats what she said. i have had an ultrasound and it was clear which was why she said what she did i have a list of symptoms which are a bit tmi for on here and they got worse since i had my second son 3 years ago

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 10:23 ----------

If it is open surgery I reckon you will be looking at 3 months off work.

I had smaller open surgery in that area and was off for 8 weeks, earlier this year, it was meant to be keyhole but more stuff had to be taken then expected and so it turned into open so they could save other bits.

Just make sure someone is at home the first few days and someone to take you home then make sure you don't lift anything heavier than a full kettle for the first two weeks and then take it easy. The thing that shocked me is that you cannot drive for quite a few weeks (think it was about 6 weeks) so that becomes quite annoying when you are feeling better but not well enough to walk massive distances! I tried to walk as much as possible once I felt well enough to do so.

Make sure you have some stuff that helps you go to the toliet when you get home as the painkillers bung you up and you have a sore stomach, so not a good mixture. Good luck I'm sure you will feel better for it in the long run.

im self employed part time and a stay at home mum so time off work is not a problem for me and since i cant drive thats not a problem either, thanks for that

after years of pain a gyno has now finally put a possible name to whats causing it she said adneyomyosis sorry cant spell it, she says its really hard to diagnose but if it is that i need a hystarectomy:love:.

im just wondering if anyone has any experience of this condition and can give me some kind of timescale as to how long it will take.

thanks

I'm a bit concerned about that, if there is any doubt about the diagnosis I would ask for more information.

It may well be that a hysterectomy is the right treatment, but if it were me I would want to know for sure. Or if there were any other possible treatments that could be tried first.

Edited to add, best of luck, whatever happens.

I'm a bit concerned about that, if there is any doubt about the diagnosis I would ask for more information.

It may well be that a hysterectomy is the right treatment, but if it were me I would want to know for sure. Or if there were any other possible treatments that could be tried first.

prety much she said its hard to diagnose so she will try a load of other things first including an injection to put me into temp menopause

it can be difficult to diagnose as its not always possible to differentiate between adenomyosis and fibroids on a scan (several small fibroids could give a similar appearance to adenomyosis). It is usually not confirmed until its been checked by the histopathologists. Hormonally induced menopause could possibly be considered for some people

Archived