Why do Politicians want us to remain in the EU?

There are far far more countries outside the EU trading bloc.

It's a great big world out there, we should be looking outward, not inward to a failing superstate that was imposed on us by deception.

I suspect the ordinary citizens of many other EU countries are just as fed up as we are of the whole sorry mess that the EU is descending into.

I think it's probably even more polarised in places like Greece.

On the one hand the EU imposes huge austerity measures, on the other hand the EU is the only thing keeping the country from collapsing.

Although perhaps it would have been better for Greece to collapse.

I think it's probably even more polarised in places like Greece.

On the one hand the EU imposes huge austerity measures, on the other hand the EU is the only thing keeping the country from collapsing.

Although perhaps it would have been better for Greece to collapse.

Well because they're in the Euro they don't have much fiscal control of their own .. I always doubted that a "one size fits all" economy would work for anyone but the strongest countries.. I'm not sure it even works in single countries..take the "South East and everywhere else in the UK" divide we have..

Well because they're in the Euro they don't have much fiscal control of their own .. I always doubted that a "one size fits all" economy would work for anyone but the strongest countries.. I'm not sure it even works in single countries..take the "South East and everywhere else in the UK" divide we have..

Then the problem may be because it is too big, corrupt and we lose control.

I wonder what Thatcher would have voted for, in or out?

Both senior Coalition and Labour politicians are divided and want us to remain in the EEC, why?

It can't be because they are looking forward to a nice commission in the EEC once their career in Parliament is up. This subject seems to be the one issue that divides a party internally more than any other.

Have asked Mods to correct title to EEC.

I voted for us to join the eec which was a trading club no mention of joining a dictatorship led by the Germans.

In essence being in the EU means we have free access to trade with a bunch of nations that are broke. The UK also imports more than it exports to the EU.

Also, if an apple for example cost a buyer 1p from the EU but after we leave would cost 2p, we would just import from other countries instead. Also more and more of our exports go to none EU nations now, so the freedom to sell to people who don't have the money to buy our goods is pretty worthless.

Plus you can be in the EU trading block and not be part the EU like Norway.

Although we are exporting more globally, the vast majority goes to the eu.

What makes you think the EU will stop trading with us?

It wouldn't of course. It would simply become more difficult to do. The CBI for example wants us to stay in the EU. The CBI is one of the main lobbying groups for business in the UK.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/press-releases/2012/12/uk-must-carve-out-a-new-trading-role-in-the-world-for-2013-cbi/

Although we are exporting more globally, the vast majority goes to the eu.

Does it? Do you have any figures for this as I have heard wildly differing amounts from different sources.

A quick search brings up that 57% of our trade goes to the EU while 55% of our imports come from the EU. However, the trade agreement within the EU extends to the likes of Norway. So there is no reason why we would not also be able remain within the trade boarders. We import and export about the same amount, so being outside would be just as detrimental to the EU as it would be to us.

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 11:58 ----------

Here is a good set of stats from the HMRC.

https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/EUOverseasTrade/Pages/EuOTS.aspx

The graphs shows there is a trade deficit with the EU, which means (correct me if I am wrong) that its less beneficial for the EU than us if we leave.

Archived